AMD? LAPTOP CHOICE

eysha 11:53 30 Oct 08

Hi, my daughter is after a laptop but needs help in choosing one. she has looked at a lot now and wants to know what is the difference between AMD and Celeron and Intel etc (hope i got that right) which one is the best and why?
Also what is the best laptop for reliability. Not sure if there has been any reviews done lately or where to look. Looking in the region of £5/600 to spend.
Thanks in advance
E.

Rahere 12:20 30 Oct 08

AMD and Intel are manufacturers of processors which are the heart of the laptop. To be frank most people won't see any difference between the two.

Ergonomics (weight/keyboard/screen), the number of USB sockets, hard disk size (and of course looks) are more relevant to the user but the most important things are the operating system on offer and then if there enough memory (RAM) fitted to run it.

The main operating system is Windows which comes in two distinct flavours at the moment Windows XP or Windows Vista. The later is the latest thing but it has received a mixed reception from many users. Vista requires more of your computer hardware especially RAM - a minimum of 2 gigabytes maybe 4 gigabytes. XP runs v well with 1-2gb. The users' reaction to Vista has caused some manufacturers to offer the option to revert to windows XP operating system which is more familiar check that option too.

The main thing is to make a checklist of what you plan to do on the laptop - any laptop can cope with standard office/home letters and web duties but any special programs for study/hobby/work will need a higher spec machine - music/video mixing and video games will certainly need extra.

As for manufacturers opinions will vary widely but most are reliable, read the reviews but above all try out the laptops in shops - you may find that one keyboard is better for your daughter than another for example. Also heck the service contracts offered, look for 2-3 years collect and return at least

eysha 18:34 30 Oct 08

Thanks Rahere, so it's not too important then compared to othere things then. Didn't know Vista took that much memory either but then again i don't have it. thanks for the information.
Regards
E.

chub_tor 19:20 30 Oct 08

This Toshiba site click here allows you to select laptops by price, screen size, weight, types of user etc. It may help you narrow down your options before selecting a manufacturer.

eysha 22:42 30 Oct 08

Thanks Chub-tor, will be looking there.

Halmer 09:43 31 Oct 08

click here

Worth a look. I have mine from there last year and it's fine with a three year guarantee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5