//some 3rd party need geo

AMD K6 upgrade

kennw 16:09 10 Sep 05

I have a spare computerfitted with a AMD K6 chip. Is there a cheap upgrade to this without a new motherboard that will help the PC run faster?.

Thalmus 16:29 10 Sep 05

The K-6 uses socket 7, which has since been replaced by the socket A, and is very out of date.

The easiest and cheapest way to improve performance would be to add more RAM, how much do you have at the moment?

Taran 16:31 10 Sep 05

The AMD K6 range of CPUs have been discontinued for a long time now and their replacements all use different bus speeds, voltages and have very different motherboard requirements to your current chip.

I'm afraid that if you want to upgrade you will have to be radical and get a new tower unit.

Your current power supply unit is unlikely to be anywhere near powerful enough to run the latest crop of CPUs, motherboards and supporting hardware.

The K6 range were an old favourite of mine and I still have one (a K6 3 450) lying around that I refuse to part with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…