AMD / Intel clock speeds

donki 14:07 30 Oct 06

sorry guys maybe a really stupid question. When reading specifications for games it usually gives the clockspeed for an Intel. I have AMD and im kinda confused.

I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+, and it sayd the clock speed is 2.20GHz?? BWhat is this equivalent to in Intel terms?

Does that make sence?

wjrt 14:12 30 Oct 06

click here

does this help

donki 14:17 30 Oct 06

Thanking u i will have a read.

Stuartli 14:22 30 Oct 06

I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ but it's actually a 2.2GHz CPU - AMD rates performance capability somewhat differently to Intel.

donki 14:23 30 Oct 06

Mmmm even more confused? So my AMD runs 2.2Ghz? All the Intel Pentium ones are at least 3.0Ghz? But i know that my computer is faser than my friends dual core Pentium D?

Advice is much appreciated.

Totally-braindead 14:25 30 Oct 06

Your 4200+ dual core will run at approximatly the equivalent of a Pentium running at 4.2 Ghz. The dual core will not make any real difference until you are multitasking.

donki 14:33 30 Oct 06

Thank you Totally thats wot i was wanting.

Cheers

Totally-braindead 14:33 30 Oct 06

AMD though they run at a slower clock speed than their Intel equivalents are named for the equivalent Intel Processor speed. So mines for instance is an AMD 3500+ and is approximatly equivalent in power to an Intel 3.5 Ghz. It doesn't matter what the actual speed of the chip is its the way it handles information.
You can read up on the subject if you wish but if you're confused now wait till you start to read about processor architecture etc etc.

Lets put it another way. You have 2 PCs. One has an Intel Pentium running at 3.5 ghz the other has an AMD chip 3500+ running at whatever it doesn't matter. Assuming both PCs have the same other hardware, memory etc.
Run the same programs side by side and they both will be able to run it at approximatly the same speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…