AMD HELP

coolkishan 08:43 28 Jul 05

I have a reasonably good pc which i built two years ago but i dont know if i should upgrade to AMD Dual Core. This is what i have in my pc:

case - chenbro gaming bomb

PSU - Antec TrueControl 550 watt ATX12 w/Front Control Panel

HD - Maxtor DiamondMax PLus 9 200gb Sata 8mb cache

HeatSink - ThermalRight SP-94 Cooler

CAse fan - Coolermaster neon 80mm led fan

Ram - GeIL1gb(2x512mb) pc4400 ultra series cas3

CPU COOLER - Vantec tornado 92mm fan(i know its a case fan but very high cfm)

GPU - XFX GeForce fx5200 128mb ddr agp8x(i know its rubbish)

CPU - Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz processor

MOBO - ABIT IC7-MAX3

Should i keep with this pc till windows vista comes out then upgrade to dual core, or buy a cheap AMD 64bit processor now and then i dont have to change mobos when i upgrade to dual core.

Or should i just buy this motherboard,psu,gpu and processor now?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+

Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

or.....

Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
(if these arent good reccomend others please)

XFX GeForce 6800 Ultra 512MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Would my old psu be compatible with pci express?
If not this is the psu i have found
Antec TruePower 2.0 550W PSU

Please help me in this dilemma

Kishan

961 09:19 28 Jul 05

Unless there is something that your existing system won't do then I would wait for the new Windows operating system. A lot will change by then, including new hardware

coolkishan 09:23 28 Jul 05

Do you mean windows 64bit or longhorn?

BigMoFoT 09:35 28 Jul 05

PSU would work with card(however not with the board - read on!), you'll get an adapter with to connect your graphics card up but it will require 2 molex connectors at least for an ultra card. I purchased a PSU with a dedicated PCI-E connector. This means the card will have it's own dedicated rail on the PSU - If your spending £400 on a graphics card then trust me, the less chance of anything going wrong the better!!!
Motherboards are an excellent choice and your current memory will work on them as well. The premium version has a heat pipe whereas the deluxe version has a noisy northbridge fan (not technically a northbridge I know but what do you call em now?)
However these boards require a 24 pin ATX mobo connector which I doubt your PSU has - In short buy a new PSU but make sure it has PCI-E and a 24 pin ATX with a seperate 12 V connectors! Trust me these boards take some juice even more so with an ultra card..

BigMoFoT 09:38 28 Jul 05

and look at the Zalman flower coolers as well - really, really quiet...

coolkishan 16:54 29 Jul 05

thanks for your advice could you please tell me what psu i should get as i cant find a 24 pin atx one. There is no price issue so i dont mind the cost and are you saying that i should get the premium one instead.

thanks for your advice could you please tell me what psu i should get as i cant find a 24 pin atx one. There is no price issue so i dont mind the cost and are you saying that i should get the premium one instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…