AMD DURON(TM) PROCESSOR

657 11:45 10 Dec 04

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME I AM A NOVICE TO COMPUTERS AND HAVE BEEN TOLD I RUN A AMD(TM)PROCESSOR WHICH IS NOT THE GREATEST TO HAVE. CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT WOULD BE BETTER AND AT WHAT COST

Gongoozler 12:05 10 Dec 04

Hi 657. Firstly can you please not use all capitals, it makes your posting difficult to read and is the online equivalent to shouting.

The AMD Duron is a cut down version of the Athlon. If on your computer you right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties", under the "General" tab you should see what processor (as well as what memory) you have. Generally there is an Athlon equivalent of any Duron, however depending on the age of your computer your choice may be limited. If you download and run Belarc Advisor click here, you should be able to find what motherboard you have. Post the results here and we'll see if we can tell you what processor choices you have.

Depending on what you use your computer for, you may not get a lot of benefit from changing to an Athlon. I'm using a Duron, and it does all that I require of it.

Mango Grummit 12:24 10 Dec 04

Gongoozler says "Depending on what you use your computer for, you may not get a lot of benefit from changing to an Athlon. I'm using a Duron, and it does all that I require of it."

I'll vouch for that and I use both Duron & Athlon. In everyday normal use there is no difference at all.

Belatucadrus 12:27 10 Dec 04

The other question to consider is what do you hope to achieve ? If the computer already does everything you require of it then changing the chip is a fairly pointless exercise.

657 13:53 10 Dec 04

i cant open an attachment on an e-mail a friend sent me any ideas i can solve this little conumdrum

657 13:53 10 Dec 04

i cant open an attachment on an e-mail a friend sent me any ideas i can solve this little conumdrum

Belatucadrus 14:06 10 Dec 04

What type of file is it ? When you open the e-mail, look in the window entitled Attach: ,tell us what extension is. The attachment name should be in this form 'name.type(size)'. When we've identified what it is we can direct you to whatever software is needed to read it.
If on the other hand it's a file type that you should already be able to open. Start Outlook Express / Tools / Options then click on the Security tab. Untick the box next to "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". Only do this if you are running an up to date anti virus program.

Mango Grummit 15:52 10 Dec 04

657 -- to be clear here: this problem has nothing to do with you using Duron if that is what you thought.

Or maybe this is a new topic?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…