AMD Duron 1600 266Mhz FSB overclockable?

May the Schwarz be with you... 16:57 21 Mar 04

Hi, I'm considering getting a new processor to replace my AMD Duron 1.3Ghz and was thinking of getting the AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton but the Duron 1600 is half it's price and has been known to be overclocked to speeds as high as 2.3Ghz. I have been doing some reading around and it seems that a stock Duron 1600 can beat an AMD Athlon 1700+ and if overclocked, can match the performance of an AMD Athlon 2200+. It has receive some very positive feedback from buyers: click here

I'm planning to stick this into a Shuttle XPC SN45G Barebone system, which has good overcloking capabilities. It uses an I.C.E cooling mechanism which has very quiet and doesn't require a fan but can support up to a Barton 3200+. I'm planning to use this PC for surfing the web, watching movies, doing my work and everything else basically except games (well, maybe the odd game of The Sims or CM 03/04) and I don't do any graphical work anyways.

If I was to get the Duron 1600 (instead of the Duron 1800 because apparantly, it's more overclockable despite it's lower CPU speed), then how difficult is overclocking? Does it just involve going into the BIO and changing the CPU frequency? I'll also have a Crucial 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM in it so would I need to consider it's frequency bus? And what signs do I need to look for to indicate when I should stop overclocking? This will be my first attempt at overclocking but since it seems quite common and safe these days, I can't resist the chance to try it. Of course, I will have a Duron 1.3Ghz to try it out on a ECS K7S5A motherboard before hand to see what overclocking is like.

Even if I don't manage to overclock much, like over 2.0Ghz, I should still have a very good CPU, considering it's the same as the Thouroughbred Athlons without the extra cache.

So then, any suggestions/opinions?

Paranoid Android 22:23 21 Mar 04

I would not recommend overclocking a CPU in a XPC case, at least not to the extent that you are suggesting. You may find it produces more heat than you expect.

I would go with the Barton 2500. (Actually I did.)

Marvin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5