amd dual core

hi i have posted this before and decided not to upgrade, but it still niggles me!
i currently have:
amd 3500+ am2 socket
2gb ddr2 ram
nvid 7600gt
its mainly used for gaming, and my question is, would i get a any notable performance improvements if i upgraded cpu to, say a 5200 x2 or whatever the latest one is, my motherboard seems to support any amd dual core and is dual channel, some tell me i wouldnt notice the difference, but in the future i shall be looking at vista and direct x10, i have a vista upgrade but am staying with xp watching the gaming forums with interest.
many thanks in advance
adam

Ashrich 13:48 08 Feb 07

I really don't think you'll see an appreciable difference until there are more programs that can take advantage of dual core technology , at the moment there aren't many , and if you have seen the problems that people have had UPGRADING to Vista , you'll wait to do that too ...

Ashley

ok, after putting vista on pc i am going for the dual core.
any advice on installing it, bios etc would be gratefully recieved
many thanks adam

Ashrich 22:26 23 Feb 07

Vista has inbuilt support for dual core , check on your motherboards web site just to make sure it will take an 5200x2 . I would recommend a better heat sink and fan that the stock one that comes with a retail AMD processor , the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 pro is fantastic , very cool and quiet and dead easy to install .

Ashley

HP 'NodusM-GL8E' motherboard
also have 4x512mb ddr2 sticks
so if i buy the retail boxed chip im thinking 5200 or above, do i just plug it in? or will i have to change the bios? i have to ask this now, because i only have 1 pc!
will take you recommendation on arctic too
thanks again
adam

i also e mailed hp for advice, got 2 replies, the first said i can change chip to any dual core, the second says my pc doesnt support dual core?
its a compaq presario sr1909uk

Ashrich 20:48 24 Feb 07

This is your board click here is clearly says that it supports x2 processors , so the person you contacted is talking out of his ....hat . Should just be a straight drop in .

Ashley

thats what i thought!
thanks for your help ashley, its being delivered wednesday with the arctic bit, will keep you posted, thanks again
adam

Ashrich 23:06 24 Feb 07

Hi Adam , don't forget to let us know how you get on , and I think you'll like the Freezer 64 Pro , it is so quiet on my board , keeping my 4200x2 at a very low temperature and blowing the hot air towards my 120mm fan at the back for perfect airflow .

Ashley

have now ordered 64 5200x2 and arctic 64 pro, the novatech site says up to 5000x2 but have been to arctic's site and it says all dualcore so time will tell.
do you think i will need anything else, thermel paste etc?
will keep you posted, delivery is expected in the morning, so its going to go one of two ways, i'm either going to be up and running, or er not!
the loudest thing on my pc at the moment is the processor fan, so as i say will keep you posted.
adam

Ashrich 09:36 27 Feb 07

I have to admit I used the thermal pad that came with the Freezer 64 Pro and it seems fine , I only have thermal paste hanging around in case I have to take a hsf off , then I replace the supplied pad with paste , I'm sure all will be fine and I look forward to hearing how it goes .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…