AMD CPU rating?

dagwoood 12:29 05 Sep 04

I've been looking at what different cpu's AMD has to offer and I'd be grateful for some clarification on how they "rate" their cpu's.

Now, when just the Athlon XP's were introduced, the rating system was to show how they performed when compared to Pentium cpu's. With the introduction of Athlon 64's, does this still hold true, or is the number they give them just a model number and not a reflection of their performance?

Would a Athlon XP 3000+ provide the same performance as an Athlon64 3000+?

To further muddy things, the Sempron.

I know this has been introduced to go head to head with the Celeron D cpu, but how they rate the Sempron, is the rating a reflection of how it would compare to a Celeron cpu only?

Or would the Sempron 3100+ outperform the Athlon xp 3000+?

I've googled and been on the AMD site but haven't found anything to directly compare one AMD cpu to another with regards to performance.

Any advice/info appreciated, dagwoood.

cream. 14:40 05 Sep 04

Have you been to the AMD EDGE / cpu support forum / sempron click here

Quite a lot of useful information on sempron's and other cpu's.

bremner 15:00 05 Sep 04

Some good info on the Semperon can be had click here

dagwoood 19:29 05 Sep 04

Thank you for the links guys.

I hadn't come across the AMD support forum, it'll take me a while to sort throught all the different threads but from what I've read so far, it looks interesting and informative.

Cheers, dagwoood.

cream. 00:02 06 Sep 04

Yes there are some very knowledgeable guys there.;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…