AMD Athlon XP, XP 64Bitt Sok 754 or 939 ?

Giggle n' Bits 23:20 02 May 05

Ok was going to build a new pc using and AMD Athlon but I see this is becoming end of line and this XP 64 Bitt version is now available in Socket 754 & Socket 939.

Could anyone advise which Socket 754 or 939 is going to be around for a few good years please cos if I end up needing to upgrade CPU in 2 years I worry the CPU may not be around for the board I might choose.

Also SATA, if I had a SATA HDD would I still be able to run IDE DVD & IDE DVD Wtr drive in the same machine or do you have to have all SATA drives.

Ta for anyone who can help who is up late.

TomJerry 23:35 02 May 05

but noone know how long it will last, fron past experience, Socket A has been around more than 3 years and still going

all motherboard have IDE even some have SATA as well, check spec for motherboard, no problem to mix two

maybe wait a few months if you are not in hurry becuase Dual Core CPU will be out later this year which is two CPU in one single chip. For the case and motherboard, it is better to go for BTX form factor becuase ATX is about to dead

Giggle n' Bits 00:02 03 May 05

Thanks for you reply and interesting stuff !

I was amazed about ATX being about dead and a new one called BTX wow things are changing.

TomJerry 00:32 03 May 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…