AMD Athlon (TM)....Update Success

busterjock 19:50 04 Nov 03

Hi all

A friend of mine has a problem with his system. Each time his PC is started, it gets past the post and then he gets this message

AMD Athlon (TM)......Update Success

Then nothiung, the PC just freezes. He has tried clearing the CMOS, exchanging the bettery, booting from a floppy and CD ROM - nothing works. It won't even get a far as searching for a boot device. He has also tried disabling L1 and L2 cache...nothing.

Anyone got any suggestions, please?

Thanks

busterjock 21:19 04 Nov 03

Anyone?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

A_World_Maker 21:33 04 Nov 03

Is this part of a recent upgrade? Hardware and or Bios?

busterjock 21:53 04 Nov 03

No, Its a customer built machine. Built last Feb, nothing changed since at all. We thought it was the battery because it hasn't been used for the last 3-4 months, it was switched on last weekend, and the problem started.

busterjock 21:53 04 Nov 03

soory, that should have read "a custom built machine". ooops.

A_World_Maker 22:08 04 Nov 03

Could this be that the machine was flashed in the BIOS previously?

busterjock 00:24 05 Nov 03

Sorry, should have explained better. The parts were brand new. My friend used it for a few months, but it then went unused 3-4 months. The BIOS has not been flashed.

A_World_Maker 19:27 07 Nov 03

The only other thing I can suggest is that you take out the CPU and put it back in, the same for all memory modules and cards... Oxidation of the pins and slots etc.. caused by condensation (ordinary air humidity) can cause this.

Are you able to get into the BIOS?

busterjock 00:14 08 Nov 03

yep, can get into the BIOS. To be honest, i never thought of taking the parts out and replacing them. I'll try and let you know. Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…