//some 3rd party need geo

AMD Athlon or Pentium4 ?

dac2000_uk 12:37 18 Aug 03

i am looking into buying a sony vaio system. They are available in AMD Athlon 2800 + or pentium 4. Which is the better as far as speed, storage, reliability etc go?

Lozzy 12:43 18 Aug 03

There is no actual answer to your question. It's all down to what you want the PC to do and personal preference. Read as many articles as you can and talk to many people. I personally prefer P4 but thats only because I like Intel. The speed of the PC does not only rely on the processor it is a combination of Processor Ram Cache size level 1 and L2 and system bus. Ram speed and type also plays a huge part so do your home work well..

dac2000_uk 12:47 18 Aug 03

okay, well i'm going to be using it for word processing, the internet and also for graphic designing/DTP. Which one would best suit this?

Lozzy 13:08 18 Aug 03

The Key here is DTP. So my advise is P4 with either DDR Ram preferably or Ram-bus Ram but DDR is slightly faster with the best Graphics card available. I use the Radeon 9800 pro and its excellent. All high end graphic cards are good but go with the 128mb ram.

The RZ322 looks good but I would increase the ram to 1024mb if your budget allows. Hyper threading is brilliant and fast so long as your applications allow for it.

dac2000_uk 13:12 18 Aug 03

Thanks for that Lozzy. I will increase the RAM. What would you reccomend as far as the hard drive goes? What size would be best for me?

Lozzy 13:22 18 Aug 03

It all depends on what your type/size of DTP files your going to save. Like avi's etc which are large. So many people would say, get the largest capacity you can afford. I would say 120gig is well big enough but you can never have enough disk space.. Make sure the Hard drive is at least 7200 rpm.

Enjoy and let me know how it is when you get it..

What screen are you going for??

2rings 13:52 18 Aug 03

my most recent computer (p2 450) has started to play up and i am looking to purchase a new computer. i would be using my computer for internet usage (maybe broadband), ms office applications, pc games and music downloads. i am unsure as to what would be the best system to start looking at. any ideas??

Paranoid Android 13:59 18 Aug 03

There are four main considerations when choosing between P4 or Athlon XP processors.

1) P4's can make the most of applications that use hyperthreading (in Windows XP Pro)

2) P4's run cooler and quieter, and are far less succeptible to overheating damage

3) Your decision will also affect the choice of mainboard, arguably the most important factor when building a system. It is quite possible to end up with a faster processor but less overall peformance.

4) Athlons are cheaper, the extra bang for your buck can pay for better components elsewhere such as extra RAM or better graphics which may offset minor differences in performance.

If availability of funds were not an option I would choose a P4 every time. Unfortunately they are, so I choose Athlon.

Marvin

Paranoid Android 14:00 18 Aug 03

PS 2rings, I suggest you start a new thread to give your subject greater prominence.

Marvin

The Sack 15:04 18 Aug 03

[snipet]P4's run cooler and quieter, and are far less succeptible to overheating damage[/snipet]

This is not entirely accurate, high end Athlon generates around 75W of heat, but the new Prescott P4 generates around 100W of heat. You are also forgetting that Athlons are built to run up to 20 degrees Celsius higher and a P4 so to suggest the Athlon would suffer a higher failure through thermal breakdown is highly erroneous.

dac2000_uk 17:21 18 Aug 03

Lozzy, you get a 15" TFT screen with the package, would this be okay for my applications? Thanks paranoid android and the sack for your advice on the processors. According to paranoid android and lozzy it looks like, at the moment the pentium 4 option is better for me however paranoid android did make a valid point, athlons are cheaper and considering I am likely to be spending a lot of money on the system (to make it suitable for DTP) it maybe advisable for me to get an athlon processor and spend the money I save on extra RAM, a better graphics card or a slightly larger hard drive. Also thanks to the sack, your information has made me re consider athlon also. I will be using the computer daily often for up to or beyond 8 hours so it is important that I will be able to avoid such problems as overheating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…