AMD Athlon 64x2 3800+ ok for future games?

fayemacnamara 14:08 18 Mar 06

Just about to order a pc from Evesham with an AMD Athlon 64x2 3800+ processor. PC mags describe it as a 2GHz processor. I'm going for it because it's dual core and gets very good reviews for our family level of use. Only concern is that some of my son's pc games currently require 1.3ghz processor and I'm concerned that they might go beyond the 2ghz of the AMD processor in the not too distant future and thus render it useless for certain games. Would anyone know if this is likely to happen or have I got it all wrong. (I know I could go for a Pent iv 3.2 GHz, say, but I like the Evesham pc and have heard good things about the processor which will be working with 1GB RAM.) We're not talking highly sophisticated games, here, just normal family ones like Kong or Lord of the Rings.

woodchip 14:10 18 Mar 06

Yes until next week

Totally-braindead 14:12 18 Mar 06

Ignore the 2ghz its described as what it is a 3800 dual core, it will run approximatly equivalent to a Intel 3800 dual core.

It should do you for some time to come, just make sure it has a reasonable graphics card.

Totally-braindead 14:21 18 Mar 06

In case you were worried woodchip is just having a little joke about games needing more and more processing power etc every few months.
My old computer an AMD 2500 would play the games you mention no problems, I now have a AMD 3500 because I couldn't afford the dual core and it runs at 2.21 ghz. I expect it to do me a couple of years at least but I do expect I will have to upgrade my graphics card before that.
To repeat what I said earlier, the processor may run at 2 ghz but ignore that and go by what they say it is, its equivalent to a Intel 3.8 ghz dual core and will do the same job.

woodchip 14:34 18 Mar 06

Thank's

Totally-braindead 14:38 18 Mar 06

Sorry if I offended or anything woodchip but I took it from fayemacnamaras posting that perhaps he/she was new to the Forum and didn't want to put them off. No offence intended.

woodchip 14:41 18 Mar 06

No you cottoned strait away

Totally-braindead 14:44 18 Mar 06

fayemacnamara I got your email, thanks but I'm happy here. For future reference you are only meant to use the envelope to contact members if invited to do so. Not bothered but some Forum members will be.

fayemacnamara 15:59 18 Mar 06

Thanks for the advice ; I am reassured. However, I didn't send an email to you, Totally-braindead. This is only the second time I have accessed this forum - the first being earlier when I set the original question. I didn't even know that those envelopes were for emailing. Perhaps you should enquire with the people who run the site as to why you seemingly got one from me. Would be interested to know what they say as I am a little concerned that someone might receive an email supposedly from me when in fact it is not. Could it be a glitch in the system? Could someone else be using it as a joke? Not computer literate enough to guess, even, but please let me know if you find out. Thanks again for your advice, though.

woodchip 16:17 18 Mar 06

No it was me, But I know the Rules. It was Personal Message

Totally-braindead 16:26 18 Mar 06

Sorry I never read it properly, my mistake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5