AMD Athlon

karen-241100 16:25 26 Nov 04

I have been told that Amd processors overheat especially in the summer causing the pc to crash.
Is this true or is the sales guy just trying to make me me buy the Intel P4 computer because its £200 more?

leo49 16:32 26 Nov 04

Absolute hogwash!

I'd change your salesman if I were you.

Cook2 16:32 26 Nov 04

AMD do run hotter than Pentium but can take it. If you are worried just make sure you have TWO internal fans in addition to the normal case fan.

ACOLYTE 16:34 26 Nov 04

No processor should over heat if properly ventilated and fitted,it may run hotter in warm months but if you have ample cooling it wont be a problem.

Mango Grummit 17:05 26 Nov 04

I run two AMD machines more or less 24/7. One of each, (old)Duron and a (newer) Athlon.

I tell you this - on a hot day the dog and me crash out while the puters never have, and the much modified 750 Duron is about five years old now.

Noelg23 17:47 26 Nov 04

I use AMD CPUs and mine is overclocked to nearly twice its speed and thru the summer even during the hottest days it has not overheated and niether has my PC died cos of it. so whoever said that needs to see a brain surgeon. I have used the same fan with my AMD AthlonXP 2500 Barton CPU when it was first bought nearly a year ago and its overclocked to the 3200XP and the temp have never reached 50 degrees C!

Noelg23 17:59 26 Nov 04

and another thing P4 CPUs dont even run at the speed they say on the box. if it says 3.2GHz its probably running at 3 or even 2.8 if your in bad trouble...unless anyone can say different, but dont ever let a salesman rope you into buying a P4 just cos he says AMD overheat. I would love to meet this salesman...wonder if he works at PC World?

Dorsai 18:14 26 Nov 04

I have had the problem mentiond (overheating/crashing during hot weather), but it was down to a fan/heatsink that was not up to the job, and no fault of AMD's, as i had bought the fan/heatsink myself. A new cooler, rated for the CPU i had, solved the problem.

So i agree with the rest. Horse Feathers.

fourjays 18:32 26 Nov 04

I hate AMD's (too many bad experiences with them), but that salesman is talking rubbish.

"if it says 3.2GHz its probably running at 3 or even 2.8 if your in bad trouble" - You sure this isn't the 'stop me cooking' feature? I understand (from PCA forums), that P4 chips slow themselves down once they reach 60'C, to try and prevent the chip blowing. Nvidia GPUs have the same feature (as I was very glad to discover when I forgot to plug the power cable to it once - evey game ran at about 0.5fps, until I plugged it in). To my knowledge, this is a feature that AMD CPUs and ATI GPUs do not have (probably why they are cheaper).

The BB 18:37 26 Nov 04

All modern PCs get hot, especially with the Graphics cards belching out watts too. Might be noisy, but best bet I've found is two fans, one at the front sucking air in and one at the back blowing it out - and make sure that the system unit isn't sitting on carpet (can breath through shag pile) and the back is free of obstuction (a cupboard is not good).
Needless to say the AMD boxes I have, have approved fans and thermal conducting grease and may run warm, but haven't fried yet!

Rayuk 19:38 26 Nov 04

I think you will find that the latest Prescott cpus from Intel are the hottest running chips now not the Athlons.

AMD now use a Thermal protection that will shut down the cpu before burning itself out.

Never had an AMD cpu with overheating problems so paying less for something that isnt needed will be ok by me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…