AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz / Duron 1.2Ghz price difference

Horta 00:46 19 Jan 03
  Horta 00:46 19 Jan 03

I know it's late but I'm wondering why an Athlon 1.2 is around £80 whereas a Duron 1.2 is under half that, especially if there isn't supposed to be much between them in terms of performance. Should expect most Helproom folk are in bed by now though so I'll check back tomorrow for answers. zzzzzzzzzzzz

DieSse 00:48 19 Jan 03

The only real answer, is that that's what AMD choose to charge for them.

Psiman 08:29 19 Jan 03

I've just checked the following, 1.3GHz Atlon T'bird at £35.80 and 1.3GHz Duron at £29.73. Don't know where you got your prices from?? click here

Psiman 08:31 19 Jan 03

Sorry. Correct site link, but wrong page. Time to clear my TIF cache I think.

Gongoozler 10:26 19 Jan 03

The manufacturing cost of a silicon chip is determined primarily by the area of the silicon, and I doubt that there is much difference between the area of a Duron and the area of an Athlon. There is certainly no difference between the areas of the fastest the slowest of the same processor family. The manufacturer will set the price to whatever the market will stand while returning enough for research and a healthy profit. In any batch of processors there will be some that are stable only at the slowest clock speed, and a few that can achieve the fastest clock speed. The maker will price the processors to reflect the yield of the different speeds.

'Kinell 10:52 19 Jan 03

The Athlon has double the onchip cache than a Duron so gives greater performance with memory intensive programs - More performance equals more money

Horta 23:04 20 Jan 03

The problem is that the motherboard will only accept a maximum of a 1.2Ghz CPU. At present it's has an Athlon 750Mhz and as I’m not very knowledgeable on these things, it seemed logical to upgrade to another Athlon. The only one I could find was at click here (sorry not sure how to do links so won't risk it) The 1.2Ghz Athlon seems to be scarce whereas similar rated Duron’s are plentiful. Anyway it was seeing the price of the Athlon that made me wonder about the suitability of the Duron. I also wondered if the the Athlon was miles better (I know, I know a tad naive assuming that more expense always means that!!). Gongoozler and ‘Kinell’s info has enlightened me though. I suppose the last bit of reasoning should be that whichever 1.2Ghz processor I use it’s bound to be an improvement over the 750Mhz. Am I right in thinking that once installed along with the suitable fan it’s just a case of switching on, i.e. no messing about re-writing files anywhere or changing settings? Thanks.

Horta 23:06 20 Jan 03

oops just learnt that web addresses appear as "click here" duh!

PªūĽ ™ ♂ 23:47 20 Jan 03

No switching of files is necesairy. Just unclip the old heatsink, carefully remove it, Look for the Zif lever and raise it, your old athlon should now just pull out easily. Insert the new Athlon,Close the Zif, Replace the heatsink with a correctly rated new one, Dont use the old one. Power up and away you go. Go to E-bay or the like and put the old athlon up for sale they are quite rare now so someone may buy it. Have you checked the motherboard manufacturers site to see if theres an updated bios ? If so you may be able to put a faster CPU in there. You may even be able to get a 1400 to go in

Horta 12:48 21 Jan 03

Thanks for the info, I'll try it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…