amd athilon 5000+

drzee 15:29 20 Mar 08

neeed advice, old pc crashed after 5 years,because I am disabled and housebound ,I was goind to order dell inspiron 531, athalon x2 dual core 5000+ ,2048 800Mhz
DDR2 SDRAM, 500[7200rpn] hard drive ect...for £319
which is ideal for me, however comes with Vista home premium....contacted dell and was told that if I tried to remove vista...and boot with xp prof [ given as gift, pc would crash....does not make sense...advice appreciated as using 'borrowed' l/t from daughter...zee

keef66 15:36 20 Mar 08

If you format the HDD and install XP Pro, you'd need to install motherboard chipset drivers and drivers for other bits & pieces. Some of these may only be available from Dell.

Try Vista and see how you get on with it??

woodchip 15:44 20 Mar 08

They may mean you need XP drivers as you would not be able to just change the operating system without doing other things. You would have to start from scratch by removing the Partition first, as Vista will not let you downgrade to older OS it writes to Partitionn info. The drive would be for all the Computer Hardware.

keef66 15:45 20 Mar 08

we've just had new Lenovo laptops at work; they all arrived from China with Vista pre-installed and the first thing the I.T. lot did was wipe that off and install XP Pro. I'll ask what else they had to do.

belfman 15:46 20 Mar 08

I'd thoroughly recommend giving Vista a whirl. It's intuitive, fast (you have a PC good spec listed) and very solid. I have had no bother at all from Vista on several machines.

woodchip 15:47 20 Mar 08

PS if this is a Desktop You could fit another drive as Master removing Vista Drive temporary while you load XP on the New Drive then refit the Vista Drive. And Dual boot the OS's But you will still need all the XP drivers for the Computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac