AMD 64bit socket 754 or 939??

GrimNir 11:23 17 May 05

Basically I'm upgrading to amd 64 bit, but unsure which I should get.
I've been searching and I can't find comparisons or long term projections, just different sales pitch for each.

Can someone please help and let me know what the difference is, apart from the number of pins that is

recap 11:33 17 May 05

There is an article in this months PCA mag that informs you of the differences between AMD & Intel. I do not have the mag with me at the moment but i think the 754 is the better option? If i'm wrong i'm sure somebody will put me right on this.

TomJerry 11:48 17 May 05

newer model should last longer than old and you have more CPU options for newer models

Total Care Support 12:36 17 May 05

Hi GrimNir,

Socket 939 is AMD's latest socket with support for the newer Athlon 64 CPUs so for future compatibility I would suggest this is a far better option. All socket 939 motherboard should be able to support AMD's upcoming dual core CPU's with a BIOS update, so although this is not a guarantee, if you buy good 939 board from a well known manufacturer there should be much better upgrade options in the future.

The older socket 754 Athlon 64 platform has reached the end of the line as far as Athlon 64 CPUs are concerned. I doubt you will see another Athlon 64 released for this platform, so this means the 3700+ is the fastest Athlon 64 for this socket. Socket 754 instead has become AMD's budget platform, slowly replacing the socket A platform. So for a budget system socket 754 combined with a Semperon CPU would be the way to go.

Obviously this is just my personal opinion on the matter, so I would advise researching anything I have put here for your self and get a few other opinions before you make any decision.

Best regards,

Jon.

recap 18:07 17 May 05

The following is from the article I mentioned above.

Issue 125 July 2005, Workshop page 159.
"If you select an Intel board, it is best to buy one that uses the company's 915P chipset. As well as supporting the lates PCI Express standard for video cards, its socket 775design will cater for forthcoming Intel processors. In terms of AMD boards, choose a Socket 939 model over 754- or 940- pin optionss. As well as being able to take Athlon 64 CPUs, these motherboards support the faster 400MHz RAM."

Totally-braindead 18:59 17 May 05

As the others have said 939 is the newer socket. If I was going to replace my motherboard I would go for 939.

GrimNir 22:59 17 May 05

click here

The main difference seems to be socket 939 has dual channel capabilities and 754 doesn't. This being the case 939 has a future and can be added 2 tweaked etc with time. 754 is stuck as it is without much prospect of future development or tweaking.ie a 939 board can have better processors with a timely upgrade in a few years where as it is unlikely to be the case with 754

From The article.

Socket 754
Good:
Relatively inexpensive 4-layer boards
Usual (not registered) DDR SDRAM up to DDR400
Desktop positioning limiting processor prices
Bad:
Physically unavailable dual-channel mode
No multi-way (multi-processor) solutions
Socket 940
Good:
Top CPU announcements outrunning those for Socket 754
Dual-channel mode
Multi-way (multi-processor) solutions possible
Bad:
High-end positioning and expensive CPUs
More expensive, slower and less popular registered memory
Relatively expensive 6-layer boards

Platform competition will obviously mean that inexpensive Socket 939 processors will almost negate the attraction to Socket 754 (at least for those without S754 boards). Besides, cheap S939 processors will surely kill Socket A as well. We don't think it's a problem, but AMD might think different...

The second part of the problem is that S939 has initially been designed for dual-channel memory controller that increases cost price of S939 processors alongside their market price. However... who said that it would be impossible to release a single-channel processor for Socket 939? Today all AMD64 products can work with single memory modules, just not using the second channel.

And now let's think over the general sense of Socket 754 and Socket A existence on the background of Socket 939. And in about a half-year after the announcement?

There's just no sense in continuing to mess with Socket 754. At least, it's not logical. It's not good for those users, who have already bought S754-based systems, but a la guerre comme a la guerre and Socket 754 is to pass away... The only "advantage" of S754 is the availability of processors combining large L2 cache with single-channel memory controller. But on the background of the new Athlon 64 (dual-channel memory or usual DDR400 + 512KB L2) and future Athlon 64 FX (the same dual-channel memory or usual DDR400 + plus doubled L2), single-channel Athlon 64 with large L2 cache will look like an unfortunate hybrid of high-end and low-end that took everything useless (for middle-end) from both segments. Second, even if AMD leaves this ambiguous branch alive, nothing will prevent it from releasing such processors for Socket 939! A possibility of using dual-channel memory controller doesn't imply an obligation! And there even can be "special" single-channel Socket 939 boards.

georgemac © 07:10 18 May 05

939 chips are also supposed to run cooler

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…