AMD 64bit problems

Timeout 23:27 08 Sep 04

Ok so I've finally gone and done it! I've built my own!!

Used new Chaintech mobo, AMD 64bit processor, DDR ram and ATI Radeon graphics card. Will format and install Windows XP home when I've sorted everything out.

Every thing went together well enough, used my existing tower, CDRW, DVD, printer, scanner, modem (used as fax), broadband, hard drives - 2 of them in cradles so that I can let my grandchildren play without fear of them messing up my bookwork etc.

I used the kids hard drive (just in case things went wrong, don't want to use my drive until I know that it's all fine). As Me was installing the drivers up popped a blue screen with the following message

"Multi-function device (Standard Dual PCI IDE controller) has some child devices using 32-bit drivers & others using compatability-mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so your computer has been halted to prevent corruption.
After you restart your computer Windows will use compatability-mode drivers for each child device attached to this multi-function device.
If you want to use 32-bit drivers obtain an updated driver, from your supplier, or disable the device.

Problem is I don't know what these 'child devices' are. Could it be the CDRW & DVD as they aren't working? They come up as there in the BIOS but Windows doesn't know they're there. As a result I can't use any of the CD's provided with the new bits, to install drivers, so I'm stuggling on with no sound & 16 colour 640 x480 graphics.

Anybody any idea why there's no CD or DVD drives please?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jimv7 23:36 08 Sep 04

Your motherboard drivers have not been loaded so you will not see cd's untill they are.

You have to load the ide drivers from the motherboard driver cd.

Timeout 00:07 09 Sep 04

The driver cd doesn't work.

Doesn't spin - nothing.

jimv7 08:02 09 Sep 04

I believe that Me being rather old might not have the generic drivers for your new motherboard, try installing xp.

SOUNDFADER 13:30 09 Sep 04

i hate to say this but why have you git a 64 bit machine, there isn't a lot of software around for these type of systems at the moment, you would have been better off building a high spec athlon xp 3.2gig system with 1 gig ram and 256mb graphics card, as far as i am aware of the systems i know from friends they are having software problems simply because the software is 32 bit based rather than 64 bit based, maybe when the next operating system comes out from microsoft it will be fully supportive of 64 bit and all the hype that goes with it. you will need to look hard at all the drivers for the pc confirm that they are 64 bit compatible check the website of the manufacturers for updates for hardware, also do a windows update and install service pack 2, good luck

medicine hat 14:07 09 Sep 04

It looks like your system will be very good, once it is up and running. The AMD64 is an excellent CPU which runs 32bit software very efficiently. I am sure you have read the motherboard manual and so know whether it is suitable for running WinME on.

The child devices would be your optical drives. I would inclined to remove one of these and use an internal hard drive to ensure that it will all work okay. Then progressively amend the setup until it is how you really want it.

Good luck.

Timeout 22:50 09 Sep 04

I've had a 12 hour shift today and it shows at my age!

If jimv7 is right,
"Your motherboard drivers have not been loaded so you will not see cd's untill they are.",
would I be better off trying the drivers for the the mobo that I downloaded from the Chaintech site last night.
Then I could remove the optical drives and add them in one at a time?

Timeout 00:28 10 Sep 04

Well I tried that and I'd downloaded the wrong drivers :((

Will be back about 9pm tomorrow.

johnnie_mcdougall 01:39 10 Sep 04

Right maybe I'm a bit off here but my spec is similar

Chaintech NForce Board VNF3-250
AMD64 3200+
ATI Radeon 9600 PRO
512MB 400 DDR Ram

Now..... I've had a great array of setup errors with this board....but don't be worried, eventually got it running as sweet as a nut (how sweet are nuts??) Anyway, DON'T use the NForce drivers except for sound....the IDE drivers play havoc with the Drives at points not playing them at all, hence maybe the CD isn't working for you?

Listen just drop me a mail and I'll help you out
[email protected]

bremner 10:56 10 Sep 04

AMD 64 bit chips are completely 32 compatable - you do not need any 64 bit drivers. All the software is compatable.

Why build a system that will be obsoltite as soon as the 64 bit o/s comes along?

jimv7 11:35 10 Sep 04

bremner, is correct the and cpu is 32/64 bit compatable,there may not be a lot of software availble for 64 bit mode, but it will run all 32 bit applications without problems, (unless anyone knows different) lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…