//some 3rd party need geo

AMD 64 3400 to 3700 advice

O-NO 22:32 04 Apr 05

Got myself a Clawhammer AMD 64 3700 clawhammer to replace AMD 64 3400 but not sure if I will attempt the upgrade myself because I never have.........

I know there are people on here who build their own PC's so wondered if they could give me any advice.......

Is it easy to do?

Will I have to change any settings in the BIOS?

Any help as ever greatly appreciated.

LastChip 00:05 05 Apr 05

Having checked the specification for the two processors, the thermal theoretical maximum is the same, so your existing heat sink should be adequate.

Assuming your motherboard supports this processor, it should be just a matter of removing the existing heat sink retainer. Gently remove the heat sink from the existing processor, not forgetting to un-clip the fan cable. This should be done by a gentle swivelling motion, just to break the bond that occurs between the heat sink and the CPU. Now raise the Zero force insertion lever 90 degrees and you can lift out the old CPU. Try not to touch any of the pins for two reasons. First the risk of static electricity and second the chance of grease from your skin getting on the pins.

Next, turn the heat sink up side down and remove all traces of the thermal compound used for thermal transfer. Do this carefully. You want as close as you can to a mirror finish. You will probably find the underside has a copper base.

Now you need to apply a quality thermal paste to the top of the CPU die (only to the die). Arctic Silver is about the best you can get and only requires a very thin layer.

Place the CPU in the socket. NOTE. NO FORCE AT ALL is required. If it doesn't just drop in, you have it around the wrong way. Look at the shape of the pins on the CPU and compare them to the socket for correct alignment. One in place, close the ZIF lever back to its original retained position.

Now place the heat sink back on top of the CPU. Again, be careful to align this properly. There may be a "step" to take care of a ridge on the socket, so correct alignment is essential and re-secure the retaining clip. DON'T FORGET to reconnect the fan NOW.

Double check all is well and you should be ready to go!

O-NO 00:16 05 Apr 05

You make it sound so easy LastChip........

"remove all traces of the thermal compound"...what do I use to clean it off with?

LastChip 00:48 05 Apr 05

Nail varnish remover is as good as anything!

When my wife ran out of the stuff and I needed some in a hurry, the local chemist looked at me in a very strange way. I was glad to get home ;-)

LastChip 01:03 05 Apr 05

click here for some pictures of the heat sink and CPU. It shows Intel, but AMD is much the same.

And click here for a tutorial showing the correct application of thermal compound. (You don't just place a dollop in the middle!)

ddd3 02:33 05 Apr 05

I'm a bit surprised that your new chip doesn't have a heat sink with it. I thought AMD did that now.

Aside from that, it really is as easy as LastChip says, but don't expect a huge performance leap after you've done it.

O-NO 07:13 05 Apr 05

Thanks LasChip..........

Sorry ddd3 I didn't make my post clear in the begining.....yes chip is complete with a heatsink and a fan......does this make things any easier?

I know there will not be a huge peformance increase its just I did not want to upgrade my board at the moment so this is as far as I can go......didn't want to overclock the 3400 either.

Totally-braindead 11:07 05 Apr 05

If you have a new heatsink and fan then it will already have a pad of thermal paste on it. All you should have to do once you've removed the old processor is put in the new one and then put the new heatsink over it, clipping it in place obviously. That should be it. The other heatsink and CPU you can just clean up later. Just be careful that the heatsink is properly on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…