AMD 64 3000 or Intel Prescott 3.0 Which is better

buscrew 10:53 06 Aug 04

I am going to buy a new box, but I cannot make up my mind as to which is the better processor of the two. I don't run any intensive 3D games, probably the most demanding I have is MS Flightsim 2004, nor do do any intensive video editing or CAD applications. Your observations and experiences would be welcome. Many thanks

buscrew 11:50 06 Aug 04

^

pmjd 12:41 06 Aug 04

A question like this usually gets fans from both camps going, just give it a bit of time.

From my experiences and reviews I've read I have just built a new box for my cousins and picked an AMD64 2800+, mainly for games, and so far so good. AMD64's generally seem to do alot better at for playing games (search for reviews like Tom's Hardware, extremetech etc.). Also a tad cheaper, well the socket 754 versions are.

P4's are better at memory intensive programs and if running mutiple apps the hyperthreading is very useful. But the current batch of prescott chips only marginally out perform there predessors and run very hot, loud cooling fans could be distracting.

Hope this helps
Paul

buscrew 13:25 06 Aug 04

I am leaning towards the AMD 3400, and yours is just the kind of reply I am looking for. Reading woodchip's comments re SP2 and non AMD chips is only reinforcing my thoughts. Any other takers!

woodchip 13:46 06 Aug 04

Read click here

buscrew 18:30 06 Aug 04

Thanks for the input. I have opted for the AMD 64 3400 so I'll close this now, Thanks again to you both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac