AMD 2800 processor running at 1.24ghz!

Justabitbaffled 17:53 21 Feb 07

My system (MESH)details are being shown as having a 1.24ghz processor despite an AMD 2800 being installed. I have noticed a distinct drop in performance with programmes (notably Outlook) slow to start and then very sluggish. This has become apparenet since upgrading my McAfee Internet security suite; are the two likely to be related and has anyone any suggestions that may help resolve this?

many thanks

Justabitbaffled

stephen0205 17:58 21 Feb 07

never really liked mcafee i thought that it slowed my pc down , alot. Check the settings of your processor in the bios incase something has been changes somehow.Also get avg , dosent slow u r pc and its a good virus scanner.

ed-0 18:10 21 Feb 07

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

Also, are you sure you don't have a mobile cpu, they run at slower speeds to consereve energy and to cut down on heat.

use this click here to give details of the cpu

and

this for the motherboard click here

More often than not it's just a setting in the bios that needs altering.

ed-0 18:14 21 Feb 07

that you have a click here cpu.

If you have, it should run at 2.083Ghz. You need to check the FSB in the bios, it is more than likely running at 100 MHz. You need to alter this to 166Mhz so it runs at the correct speed.

If you post the make and model of the motherboard, we can guide you through the settings.

Justabitbaffled 18:21 21 Feb 07

System details are as follows;

a7n8x delux atx mb fsb400, ddr400 w/2 x sata 1394 lan

amd athlon 2800+ cpu(333mhz)

1ghz RAM

WIN XP Pro

ed-0 18:32 21 Feb 07

restart the computer and then keep tapping the delete key. This should take you to the bios.

Move over to the advanced tab and the scroll down to advanced chipset features. Scroll down to cpu external frequency (MHZ) and change that to 166Mhz. You do this by using either the PgUp or PgDn keys. You then press F10 to save these settings and exit the bios.

The computer reboots with the right cpu speed.

picture of the settings page click here

Justabitbaffled 18:42 21 Feb 07

ed-0

Many thanks; processor speed is now showing 2.08GHz

Ahain many thanks for you help

Justabitbaffled

ed-0 19:45 21 Feb 07

Glad it worked for you;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5