ambit 256 modem and wired network problems

vincent1 19:33 12 Oct 08

i am new to computres so i need help explained in basic terms i have a virgin media ambit 256 modem connected to my desktop pc down stairs via the modems ethernet port on the motherboard i have installed a network card to this computer as well and i am trying to do a wired network via the network card on my host computer and my upstairs pc direct to its ethernet port on the mother board so when i look at networks on my computer i have two listed the main one virgin is going through and lan 2 i persume this is my network card i have tried every thing i know but i cant get the computer upstairs to log on i can only connect the modem by the lan slot on the motherboard it does not come with a usb lead etc thanks for any help if this is possible to connect this way can some one tell me step by step i have been told i can do this using internet connection sharing ics both pcs are running xp home with identical mother boards is this possible to do as i will only have these two pcs connected i know the host pc has to stay turned on etc thanks vince ps i am using a crossed network lead i have also found it will not assign the client pc a ip address my host pc ip address starts with 86 is this the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…