ambit 256 modem connection problem

vincent1 20:01 06 Oct 08

i am new to computres so i need help explained in basic terms i have a virgin media ambit 256 modem connected to my desktop pc down stairs via the modems ethernet port on the motherboard i have installed a network card to this computer as well i am trying to do a wired network via the network card and my upstairs pc so when i look at networks on my computer i have two listed the main one virgin is going through and lan 2 i persume this is my network card the computer upstairs will not auto assign a ip address? or any other information also on my pc downstairs the host one a message comes uo lan 2 has limited or no connectivility the upstairs one some times says connected at 100mbs but i cant surf the net only look at offline pages can any one point me in the right direction i have run the network wizard etc but still no joy can some one help with step by step instructions please and why wont it auto assign its own ip address etc is it because i am using my own network card? i can only connect the modem by the lan slot on the motherboard it does not come with a usb lead etc thanks for any help

MarvintheAndroid 21:17 06 Oct 08

This is exactly the sort of situation that network swiches (hubs) were designed for.

In theory, it would be nice to think that your DS pc should be able to simultaneously communicate with both the modem and the US pc, but in reality this won't work (unless the motherboard has two network ports and is specifically designed to do it). You are trying to use your PC as a hub and it isn't designed to work that way. The problem occurs because your pc only has one IP address, but two ports.

You should be able to pick up a cheap 4-way switched hub on an auction site for a few quid.

You can either use a modem plugged into the network switch (via the network cable) or the other way to do it is to use a router which combines the two devices into one box.

Marv

MarvintheAndroid 21:19 06 Oct 08

For example

click here

Marv

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…