amber light

denis93c 20:01 09 Oct 03

my sister has an amber light on her xp tower pc,the pc runs slow for an 900mghz machine
help please

Gongoozler 20:07 09 Oct 03

Hi denis93c. You really need to tell us more. Are you saying that the amber light is abnormal for this machine? Amber lights are often used to indicate that the hard drive is active. If this is the case, and the hard drive in your sister's machine is permanently active, then this would be the problem. I have heard of this fault with Windows XP, but can't remember the solution. Does anyone else recognise this?

R4 20:10 09 Oct 03

It could be anything depending on the make. What make is the Tower?

Normaly :: Green = Power

Red/Amber/Orange = Disk in operation. This should only be on or flicker whilst the Hard disk is being accessed.

If the HD is being accessed continualy, the system will be slow as this indicates that something is using the HD all the time which is not normal.

in some cases amber/orange is 'Turbo Mode' which is not used much in new units.

Does she have a manual to say what the panel controls / indicators are for.

Gongoozler 20:14 09 Oct 03

I've done a bit of a search for excessive drive activity in XP, and some of the suggestions I've found are: Spyware (download and run AdAware click here), Virus (run a thorough updated virus search) and Windows XP indexing service (whatever that is)(Go to Control Panel-services-Indexing service, turn it off and set it to manual. click here

VoG II 20:30 09 Oct 03

As she seems to have spyware on her pc click here that is the first thing I would look into.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac