Am I using 2 firewalls?

pookie 16:49 PM 31 Jan 12

Windows 7 Home Premium.

I use PC Tools free firewall as a firewall and Avast as free antivirus. I notice Avast has a webshield enabled. Is that a firewall and if so can I uninstall the PC Tools firewall?

Kind regards

rawprawn 17:01 PM 31 Jan 12

No they are different things, Avast is just AV. You still need your firewall

spuds 17:04 PM 31 Jan 12

This might help a bit

Personally I wouldn't use PC Tools firewall, there are better products available for free.

pookie 18:59 PM 31 Jan 12

Thank you both. Which free firewall would you use? I have read Zonealarm slows pc/internet down and Commodo free internet security (firewall and antivirus) has so many pop up alerts that it has put people of using it.

robin_x 19:07 PM 31 Jan 12

If you have a router to connect to the Internet, a Firewall is built in. (does not apply to modems)

Additionally Windows has a software Firewall, which I find perfectly adequate. (Start Search Firewall)

General info

pookie 19:33 PM 31 Jan 12

Yes, I have wireless modem router with firewall enabled as well. Does that then mean that I don't need firewall software on my pc?

robin_x 20:20 PM 31 Jan 12

Personally, I am happy with router+Windows Firewall.

I assume you have an Antivirus as well.

pookie 13:05 PM 01 Feb 12

Yes, I use Avast free as antivirus. However, I have read that latest version free Commodo internet security does not slow down computers the way older versions did. I'll uninstall PC Tools and Avast and give Commodo a go.

Thanks again

rawprawn 13:51 PM 01 Feb 12

Windows 7 has it's own perfectly adequate Firewall, you do not need another. (Make sure it is turned ON.

Avast is one of the best free AV's, I would just use that together with windows Firewall.

pookie 17:48 PM 01 Feb 12

ok, thanks for the advice

john bunyan 17:51 PM 01 Feb 12

If PCTools is working ok, it is a good free firewall. I switched to the windows one as I had some updating issues with PCTools but whilst it was in use (free) it was fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…