Am I Spamming?

jimforrest 17 Jun 11

I have a Win XP desktop which I use for big downloads (quicker than wireless) and for my main email account. The email account is over 20 years old and, I think I once put it on a website so I got spammed horribly for ages. For the last 12 months I keep receiving mail from The Mail Administrator (automatic messages) regarding emails which it failed to deliver. The trouble is I never sent them! Is my computer being used to send spam mails? I'm not talking of an occaissional mail mind - it's several failures a day. The comp is protected by AVG, and I regularly run AdAware, Ccleaner, Spybot etc - and they only ever pick up minor cookies. If it is spamming how do I remove the 'worm' and stop it doing it?

onthelimit1 17 Jun 11

I'd let Malwarebytes run a full scan. Do you use a firewall?

rdave13 17 Jun 11

Change your email account's password to a strong one as well as running the above.

jimforrest 17 Jun 11

Sorry Onthelimit - I forgot to list Malwarebytes. It normally does a quick scan but I've set it for a full scan now. I use Comodo Firewall (which drives me nuts because it asks permission to allow undecipherable programme names without any explanation!) Lets see what Malware finds.

Woolwell 17 Jun 11

Most likely explanation is that someone is spoofing your e-mail address and is sending out spam e-mails as if they come from you. They are also sending them to e-mails that don't work hence the mail administrator report.

Ignore the messages. Change password, do a virus scan and hope it goes away. the only real way out is to change your e-mail address.

jimforrest 18 Jun 11

Well I let AdAware run a full scan - it took 10 hours on a 38gig drive! It found 3 instances of a Worm called Magania and a couple of file extension mismatches. All deleted now and we'll wait and see if it's any different.

jimforrest 18 Jun 11

I just looked up what Magania does once it's on the computer. It is possible it has spread across the network (wireless) to my Win7 laptop. How can I find out if this is the case? And does Malwarebytes successfully remove it?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message