Am I powering down correctly?

ray27 14:02 02 Jul 03

I use my system periodically during the day and after closing down windows via the Start/Turn Off menu I then switch off using the power switch at the back of the tower case.

It's not practical for me to leave it on as I am in and out like a fiddlers elbow.

Is this the correct procedure or would it be sufficient to just use the windows shut down option?

If I just use the windows shutdown I notice that through the grill of the tower case a small green light is still on and I have read that more damage is done when things are turned on and off due to the sudden temperature changes.

Any advice would be welcome

-pops- 14:28 02 Jul 03

I keep my computer on all day. It goes on at about 6.00 am and off at about 9.00 or 10.00 pm. I let it go through the shutdown procedure and then I switch off at the mains. It does no harm to leave it on all the time and I have it scheduled to go into standby after 5 hours with the monitor standby at 3 hours and disks at 4 hours.

Other people keep their machines on all day every day. I don't as my "office" is near my bedroom and the sound, although not loud, is enough to distract me at night.

What computers don't like is being switched on and off many times in a short(ish) period. This applies especially to monitors where large voltage surges during switching can reduce the life of some components.

Magik ®© 14:40 02 Jul 03

I go along one step more than pops, mine is left on 24/7, month in month out, it is keep switching on and off that will wear it out..been on now for about two years.......with the monitor going into standby after about 20 minutes..move the mouse, and it is up and running.

ray27 15:23 02 Jul 03

Thanks for the advice I will try and cofigure it as you say.
Could you tell me how to cofigure the monitor to switch of as you sugested?
Cheers Ray

Magik ®© 16:09 02 Jul 03

open control panel.power management,you will find

system standby.turn off monitor, turn off hard disk.. put in the minutes you want and press apply

-pops- 16:12 02 Jul 03

RIGHT click a blank area of your desktop. Click on Properties then on Screen Saver (yes, that's right). At the bottom you will see a button labelled Power. click and you will be taken to the Power Management Schemes. From there you can arrange what you want.

-pops- 16:13 02 Jul 03

Although we gave a different way of getting there, both replies are the same!!

ray27 18:33 02 Jul 03

many thank's
With all the help you have given me I hope you'r not thinking of sending a bill.

-pops- 18:50 02 Jul 03

£1,000,000,000,000,000 please;-)))

Pidder 18:52 02 Jul 03

Pops. I do just as you say but power down after 10 minutes - monitor and hard discs. Do you think this is too short a time?

-pops- 19:00 02 Jul 03

Personally, yes. I keep mine going all day with a standby at 5 hours if nothing is going on and the others as above.

It's best not to have anything constantly switching on and off but, after saying that, Microsoft have put that facility into Windows so it can't be all that bad.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…