am I missing something with a windows CD

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 22:53 27 Nov 05

I am truley confused. I have just gone back to a Q I posted and 2 advisors suggested getting a legal copy of the windows 98 CD...But whenever I have asked anyone if they got the windows CD they say NO.

Are they ALWAYS and ABSOLUTLY a seperate from a PC. Even if you buy a new PC do you get the operating system on CD. Should you get one when buying second hand? Can you pick up say windows xp on ebay, ???

Whats the craik?

citadel 22:57 27 Nov 05

I got a windows xp cd with my new pc. I think with some firms you have to specify you want the disc and they charge extra for it.

VoG II 22:58 27 Nov 05

I don't understand the question.

DieSse 22:59 27 Nov 05

*Are they ALWAYS and ABSOLUTLY a seperate from a PC.*

No - sometimes you only get a recovery CD or a recovery partition on the hard drive.

*Even if you buy a new PC do you get the operating system on CD.*

No - as above

*Should you get one when buying second hand?*

Maybe - it's not legal to sell on a system with an OS installed from a CD UNLESS you include the CD and all the documentation that came with it. But it may also be one that didn't have a CD.

*Can you pick up say windows xp on ebay, ???*

Yes - but you might get an illegal version - so beware.

DieSse 23:01 27 Nov 05

Perhaps better worded -

*Even if you buy a new PC do you get the operating system on CD.*

Sometimes - sometimes you only get a recovery CD or a recovery partition on the hard drive.

That's I think why it is confusing...You either should or don't...BUT if your PC has a licenced OS installed surley the disk that it was installed from will only work with a matching licence??? (Or is that too thick :))

Is it a massive difference in the price you would pay for with or without.

DieSse 23:12 27 Nov 05

*That's I think why it is confusing*

Confusing or not - that's tha way it is.

*BUT if your PC has a licenced OS installed surley the disk that it was installed from will only work with a matching licence???*

No - all the CDs are the same (within certain limits) - it's the licence code that's unique to each system

*Is it a massive difference in the price you would pay for with or without.*

There may be a price difference - you need to make it clear before you buy what you are going to get.

DieSse 23:16 27 Nov 05

Just to make it clear - when you buy just Windows XP as an item of software on it's own, what you get is-

A genuine COPY of the relevant CD (with an MS holograph)

A unique licence code

Some documentation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…