Am I going to have any problems?

pj123 17:40 17 Jun 07

Next Wednesday I am going to my friends to set his computer up for XP.

At the moment it is running Win98SE on a PCChips motherboard with an Athlon 2000xp processor, 512mb ram, onboard sound and video.

His C: drive is 40gb and only has the O/S and programs on it. His D: and E: drives are optical DVD-RW and DVD-ROM. His F: drive is 60gb and contains all his personal files. He has a complete clone of his C: drive on another hard drive which is kept off the computer. His personal files are all backed up to either CD or DVD depending on their size.

He has bought another 40gb hard drive which we have already formatted as NTFS. He has bought XP home with SP2 from a local dealer. He has all the CDs available for the applications he is using at the moment. I am just concerned about his BB connection. He is on AOL Silver. Once we have switched to XP and installed everything is it easy to install AOL and what do we need?

Jake_027 17:52 17 Jun 07

When you install AOL, it will ask if you are a new or existing customer. Just click existing and type in your username and password, after that AOL will do everything for you. It may install updates for the 1st few times after you close it, but after that it will be ok.

Jake

Smiler 17:55 17 Jun 07

The only thing I would say is as mentioned click here
install the modem drivers before connecting the usb cable from the modem to the computer.
Good luck pj123

wee eddie 18:06 17 Jun 07

that has no XP drivers.

You know what I'd do: Put the new Drive as Master and Install XP on that. Then install the old Drive as a Slave and remove Windows '98se from it bit by bit.

rdave13 18:06 17 Jun 07

Agree with Jake_027 and Smiler. Once XP installed make sure the modem is not connected to the usb port. Use the AOL cd and simply follow instructions. When it installs the modem drivers it will ask you to connect to the usb port.

Once AOL is up and running then it will update itself after logging off, this will happen about three times.

pj123 17:00 18 Jun 07

Thanks Guy's. Zero hour is fast approaching.

I will keep this thread open until after the event so that I can ask for more help if needed.

Diemmess 17:17 18 Jun 07

The USB connection from the Voyager 105 or whatever, must only be made when the installation asks for it.

The original Aol BB setup disk is a doddle, but won't be rushed and can seem to take forever.
In view of the need to do everything without forseeable snags it is worth using it even if you have to wait ages while very slow animation shows which filter/lead etc goes where.

One of you could make the coffee while the other prods the NEXT button with the mouse!

Just in case you hadn't realised, it is modem first and Aol afterwards.

pj123 17:48 20 Jun 07

Right got the first bit done. XP SP2 is now on his new hard drive.

Looking at the motherboard it has 4 memory slots, 2 SDRAM and 2 DDR. He has 2 x 256 PC133 SDRAM at the moment. Can he put any DDR memory in the DDR slot as well? Someone told me you can't mix SDRAM and DDR. It has to be one or the other?

Stuartli 17:53 20 Jun 07

All your questions answered:

click here

Stuartli 17:58 20 Jun 07

IIRC PC Chips is now under the Elite Computer Systems (ECS) umbrella, but if you require any further info, Bios updates etc see:

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 20 Jun 07

No you cannot use SDRAM and DDR together.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017