Am I being Scammed? Is training worth it?

I Poorly titled another thread so I will risk asking again

I am thinking about doing either a MCSE or MCSA but am gettng bombarded with different deals and offers latest is skillstrain came around to try to sell me there course sounds good but you have to sign up on their visit without seeing all the details...

supposed 93% pass rate but you have to sign up to paying them £2700 before the person leaves under the threat that they might not be back in an area for months ... apprently they they work an area which might be only once every 6 months according to the person who came around sounds dodgy to me.. any one know anything about them?

Also any one know about the CompTIA qualifications? aprently there are only two I thought there was at least 3 stilltrain again advised that there is only CompTIA A+ and CompTIA N+ but I thought there was CompTIA Security as well. And I did not know they counted towards the MCSA?

Am I being scammed?

I have also been offered a online only MCSE for only £1700 from another company or a £6000 19 day residential course for MCSE.

What was meant to be a investment in self development has become a confusing list of companies who I dont know who offer what level of quality service?

Any help would be greatfully recieved

Best regards

Daniel

Totally-braindead 21:37 04 May 06

The only advise I can offer is go to a recognised college or university to do whatever course you are interested in.

hzhzhz 21:43 04 May 06

DO NOT be pressurised into signing up to any course just because the rep wont be in the area for a few months. Take your time to decide and then if you want to sign up, they will accept your money no matter where the rep is. Thats my opinion anyway.

Taw® 21:45 04 May 06

Anyone giving reasons for paying up front like this should be treated with caution. As Totally-braindead says go to a recognised college etc. do lots of research and get checkable references, before patig with a penny of your well earned dosh.

interzone55 22:10 04 May 06

Beware, I took a distance learning course in PC repair. The college promised thorough course manuals, telephone and email access to tutors and help in getting a job when the course finished.

The length of time between me returning a module and receiving a mark got longer and longer until one module was not returned for a couple of months. I only found out that the college had collapsed from a thread in a newsgroup, I also learned from the same group that the impressive college building was a stock shot from an image bank and the actual college was a portacabin on a business park in Teesside.

Skills 22:31 04 May 06

Im studying the A+ course at a local college who charge £400 for it with reductions I got it for just over a £100 and wouldnt pay anymore than that for that course. You are correct there is a security + as well. The compia course can be studied on your own you can get a text book from amazon for around the £25 mark and then just pay to do the exams which cost around a hundred for the 2. Wait a while thou as the new objectives should come out soon and it will be updated to include things like PCIe and SATA. Be warned that there is alot of outdated stuff in there.

You should be able to find out which combo of comptia courses you need to do online.

I would advise caution with alot of these training companies check them out throughly and personally I think you're far better to go to a local college. The college Im at does microsoft quals for around the £300 ish mark each depending on what ones they are. For instance some training companies charge in the region of £2000 for the A+ course when as Ive said you can teach it to yourself for about £150 with the exams.

If your interested in networking at all then do the Cisco quals CCNA to start its well recoginised and costs about a £100 a course module there are 4 modules for the CCNA plus final exam.

Ray5776 22:40 04 May 06

Take the advice of the other members. Anyone that pressure sells does not deserve an order.

spuds 23:49 04 May 06

A salesman who insists that you sign on the dotted line, there and then, "because they won't be in the area for a few months", deserve showing the door promptly. Are these not the people who consumer watchdogs advice you to avoid like the plague.

Personally, I would contact a local college in your area, who no doubt will guide you to the best route, that you should take. The college's local to me, all have advisory staff, whose sole job are to direct people to the best options.

Catastrophe 04:25 05 May 06

Sounds to me more like
SKILL STRAIN than SKILLS TRAIN
Not a good choice of name?

;)

€dstowe 06:33 05 May 06

Always bear in mind that there are a lot more trained computer people than there are jobs to employ them.

Valid points and skill strain ( I like that) where not getting my money from the minute he told me that only a MCSE could work in a MCSE's Job as set down by Microsoft and only a MCSA could work in a MCSA's job with no cross over as they are different things... the wanting money there and then was more a thing that tickled me that he thought i would sign up to it.

Have decided on MCSA:Security ... I know that within the industry there are more and more people with these courses under their belts but its sort of a self promise to my self more than anything else. Pretty sure I have decided on a company also they are the only one who has been able to anwser every question I have asked them (even the trick ones) and they have been very much take it at your pace we can advise this this or this but the final choice is yours they have their CS down pat.

Thanks for the posts

Best regards as always

Daniel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…