Am I being ripped off on setting up a wireless nwk

knobler 14:08 31 Dec 03

I have a PC with an external speedtouch modem and want to network it to a new laptop.

I went to Micro Anvika who have told me that I need the following:

Netgear ADSL Modem + Firewall + router + Wireless for £175.00

Netgear wireless Lan card PCMCIA for £65.00

Linksys wireless PCI Card for £65.00

£305??? - It's sounds a lot of money!! - I was told that I would need a new modem as I was on broadband!! - Sitting here scratching my head after a wasted shopping trip - Any offers of help in simple computer idiots language?!

powerless 14:11 31 Dec 03

You would need a ethernet modem (do they make them?) to connect to a wireless router. s the speedtouch is usb, you cannot connect it to the router.

So a modem, wireless router, firewall etc (all in one) is what you need.

Do you have a laptop or a desktop?

TheTerminator 14:12 31 Dec 03

I have a PC with an external speedtouch modem and want to network it to a new laptop.
I went to Micro Anvika who have told me that I need the following:
I set my network up this morning:

Netgear ADSL Modem + Firewall + router + Wireless - I paid 129.99 and it is cheaper online

Netgear wireless Lan card PCMCIA for £65.00
I bought another brand one for 35.00

Linksys wireless PCI Card for £65.00
i bought a usb wireless card for 30.00

Just over 200 quid - a saving of 100. It appears that they are over charging you substantially.

The modem you buy is built into the router etc, and I was told there are some perks to this, in that its flash memory saves your settings and what not, and what you have is a backup modem now.

gold 47 14:18 31 Dec 03

Speedtouch work with AOL is that your ISP?if so they told me AOL Broadband won't work with wireless products this could be an AOL ploy
but could be a waste of money if you are not with AOL good luck.

LeadingMNMs 14:37 31 Dec 03

The prices depend on what you want to do and whether you want an 11Mbps or 54Mbps network. The slower speed is alot cheaper. I got a wireless router, modem and switch combined for £80 from dabs, a wireless PCI NIC off ebay for £20 and I think i've seen wireless PCMCIA NIC for £10 before. Total is only £110 or even cheaper if you connect the computer to the router directly thus removing the wireless PCI NIC and replacing it with a NIC (about £5) and a short straight through cable, which should take it down to less than £100.

knobler 14:43 31 Dec 03

Powerless - I have a desktop at present which is the main link for Broadband at present and want to connect a laptop via wireless so that I can wonder arounder around the house!

Terminator - R U saying that this is the only way to get connected for wireless - i.e id the info. that they are giving me correct?

Gold 47 - I have Tiscali so I suppose that this is the same situation?!

LeadingMNMs 14:44 31 Dec 03

Another question.
Do you want both computers to want simultaneous internet access or just one at a time ?

knobler 14:47 31 Dec 03

Leading MNMs

Sorry - what's an NIC?!

I also have the problem of not knowing what to exactly ask for.

knobler 14:48 31 Dec 03

LeadingMNMs

Yes, I both want them to access the internet via a broadband connection at the same time.

LeadingMNMs 14:51 31 Dec 03

NIC - Network interface Card or LAN Card

LeadingMNMs 14:53 31 Dec 03

Do you know what speed you want the network to run at ? I would have thought the slower 11Mbps would be adequate to network two computers together, but others may disagree.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…