Am I being hijacked?

jonmac 23:54 26 Nov 03

I'm getting emails returned to me which I haven't sent, by a mail delivery subsystem and part of the text is as follows.

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
[email protected]
Subject: Overnight Valium azcvdncotqihd

The "razbrockhousejo" part is replacing my name in my email address. Do I have a trojan or whatever which is sending out emails from my PC.
I have Windows XP Pro, AVG and the XP firewall

terminus 00:02 27 Nov 03

It's more likely someone else has a virus with you emaill addy in their address book.

A virus problem not a hijack, I would suggest however you search the download links at the top of the page pick a free firewall, turn off your XP one and download your choice they're all better than the XP one.

redtail 00:35 27 Nov 03

If you install a good firewall, then Emails
could not be sent without your approvel, as the
firewall will ask if your Email client can access
the server.

Two good free firewalls are Zonealarm and Sygate
Personal Firewall.

I used zone alarm for quite a long time, but i now
prefere Sygate which has soom great features, and
will notify you of everything that is happening, if this is not reqiured you simply tell it to remember that request and it willnot ask you next
time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:22 27 Nov 03

Any firewall will NOT stop emails being sent from your computer as you would have already given it permission to let through emails. The rougue emails will be sent with a batch of approved ones. I and many others do not use firewalls, we feel (and know ;-)) ) that they are unecessary. If you had restricted email permissions you would not be able to send any emails.

There is a chance that you could have the klez virus click here. I would ensure that your AV is well up to date and do a scan.

G

Jester2K II 07:46 27 Nov 03

Do you know these Carols? If not its more likely that someone has used your address as the return address in a SPAM mailshot and you are getting the undelivered messages. Not much you can do about that other than alerts your ISP and delete the messages.

wizkidwall_03 09:21 27 Nov 03

i would say it is a virus go to mcafee.com and run the free online scan

sat481 09:54 27 Nov 03

I use a program called mailwasher Pro, this lets you check your emails on the server and delete, bounce or blacklist any unwanted ones before you log onto your mail program.

click here

Use this link to take you to the download

Take care

Steve

jonmac 15:06 27 Nov 03

I don't know any of the Caroles and these returned emails are becoming quite regular now. I did the scan you suggested, wizkidwall_03, and it came up clear so that's good news.

I did have Zone Alarm for a long time till I converted to XP so I'll disable the XP one and revert.

Thanks for the help lads and good to see that you're still around, Gandalf, dispensing words of wisdom but why do you think firewalls are unneccessary?

Jester2K II 15:13 27 Nov 03

GANDALF <|:-)> knows a REAL hacker can find their way round a firewall like that (insert click of fingers sound here)

However some of us like to whats going out as well as in...

I suspect its just someone using your address as the return address... Give it time and it should stop..

jonmac 15:42 27 Nov 03

OK will do. In the meantime, to save me from going any greyer than I already am, where the heck do I find the SMTP Server Address and Pop3 Server Address which Mailwasher is asking for? I seem to be going round in circles trying to find them.

Jester2K II 15:52 27 Nov 03

What is your normal e-mail client? Outlook or Outlook Express? (or other)??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…