am I asking the impossible

peaklander 12:20 17 May 08

My photocopier has died.

I have a HP4600dn laserjet colour network printer and an HP 1120c stand alone printer.
Is it possible to buy a scanner that I could plug directly into one of the printers and copy direct from the scanner bypassing the pc or network?

I want to avoid having to boot the computer up just to copy a single document. I suppose I am looking for a scanner with a built in printer driver- probably asking the impossible?

Sea Urchin 17:54 17 May 08

You can of course buy multi-function printer/scanner/copiers - where you can use the stand-alone copier without using the PC. But you are seeking to use a scan direct to a printer, and as far as I know you can only print when the computer is booted up. So I think the answer to your question is probably - yes you are.

Somebody will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.

Technotiger 18:29 17 May 08

A multi-function will scan and print without even being connected to a computer - I keep a spare one just for when I want to do copy a single document or picture.

Sea Urchin 18:36 17 May 08

Hi Technotiger - yes, that's what I was trying to say. But peaklander wishes to buy a separate scanner, and output the image via the existing printer without being connected to the PC.

Technotiger 18:46 17 May 08

Yes, but buying a used multi-function would probably be cheaper that buying a scanner, and would do what peaklander wants, without a computer.

Technotiger 18:49 17 May 08

and as far as I know you can only print when the computer is booted up. .......... wrong. A multi-function will scan and print as much as you want without even being connected to a computer.

peaklander 19:40 17 May 08

Thanks for your help.
Yes whilst a multi function would do the business- I was hoping to be able to use the laser printer and avoid the need for yet another set of different inkjet cartridges.
oh well C'est La Vie!

Sea Urchin 20:02 17 May 08

and as far as I know you can only print when the computer is booted up. .......... wrong.

You have AGAIN misquoted me - I was speaking of a normal printer - NOT a multifunction, and I made it quite clear that the multi-function COULD do what you say.

I could of course have suggested at the beginning that peaklander buy a multifunction printer, but that was not the question being asked.

Technotiger 20:06 17 May 08

Fair 'nuf, or as peaklander C'est La Vie!

Sea Urchin 20:28 17 May 08

No hard feelings - in fact I greatly respect your wide-ranging knowledge on many PC subjects on this forum

Technotiger 20:31 17 May 08

Of course there's no hard feelings, I respect everyone's ideas and inputs - I am just one of many - and I certainly don't, always get it right!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos