Always On Internet Connection

23790954 18:38 21 Oct 07

I am actually making queries about TWO subjects:

1. I use an always on B.T. router connection to the Internet. However, I find the always on connection does interfere with the fluency of software used when NOT on the internet, i.e. printing photo's from a digital camera etc.
It is not unusual for an update programme to connect to the internet etc. To avoid this I usually disconnect the Router cable when using programmes NOT connected to the internet, but having done so today, I had a serious problem reconnecting to the internet after reconnecting the router cable. Being nearly 3 score years and 10, I wondered if there was another way of making sure the always on connection does NOT interfere with programmes being used when NOT on the internet.
2. About what length of time do digital photographs, printed on a printer remain in good visual appearance.

Thanks for any help given.

lotvic 18:47 21 Oct 07

Just because it is called 'Always On' doesn't meant that you have to stay connected.

I only connect when I want to, haven't you got an icon on your desktop to click on for the connection?
and the '2 little tv's' symbol in your sys tray that you can rightclick and choose 'disconnect' when you want?

lotvic 18:49 21 Oct 07

as for digital photographs, printed on a printer it depends on the ink you are using.

Technotiger 18:50 21 Oct 07

Being connected 'always on' should make no difference to using normal 'off-net' programs.
I too am 'always on' and I do lots of things not on-line, I have never had any problems. My router (also BT) is permanently on. I also have Microsoft Auto-updates permanently set, but this has no effect at all whether I am surfing or doing digital photo work etc.

Length of time for pics before fading? Depends on many different things, like quality of ink/paper, where they are kept, ambient temperatures/climatic conditions - but I have some which are still looking perfectly ok after twenty years and more.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:54 21 Oct 07

75 years colour, 100 B&W..... click here

woodchip 19:05 21 Oct 07

You can in my router set it so it just starts when needed. It can also be set to always on As that is how I have it set

woodchip 19:06 21 Oct 07

If they are in the sunlight they will fade

martin wilson 20:21 21 Oct 07

id have thought that the pc should cope quite well with always on. must be a resource issue affecting multi tasking, slow/old proccessor?/ low ram?

Stuartli 20:23 21 Oct 07

My internet connection (i.e. modem router) is permanently switched on - it makes no difference to what else is going on programs, applications etc wise.

woodchip 20:25 21 Oct 07

I am using a 98se hear at the moment and can do as I please while browser open, on BB. Can use any other programs. Only a Athlon 1600+ with 512MB ram

martin wilson 22:08 21 Oct 07

i hav pent 2 333mhz with 320 ram running xp pro
and cand still multitask. so something must be hogging 23790954's resources

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5