always get trojan attacks-need hardware firewall?

Ramification 10:34 23 Oct 03

hi peps, a question for you, i have ntl broadband, and am running xp pro, i have norton 2003 firewall and antivirus installed.

i am constantly getting trojan horse attacks showing up as high risk on norton. i switck my pc on for around 5 hours a day and get about 5 high risk trojan horse attacks. can i buy a hardware firewall? a friend has mentioned buying a router (to act as a physical firewall)to solve this which i know nothing about. surely if i only have one pc a router is not the best option.
any ideas? thanks! ;)

cycoze 10:44 23 Oct 03

Ramification ,your firewall is doing its job , it is just alerting you to the fact that another computer is trying to scan your machine to see if it has a trojan installed on it that it can link to .

It is quite a common event , machines will scan a particular ISP at a time to look for vunerable machines hooked up to it .

Most people i know who have Norton Firewall have nothing but praise for it , cannot help you regarding a `hard` firewall , i just think it would probably be an unnecessary expense for home use , more intended for networks .

Ramification 10:51 23 Oct 03

ok, yeah i also reckon norton is excellent but why are these attacks high risks? do you get as many attacks? my friends dont. i just had qhost trojan that norton didnt pick up n im quite worried.... thanks.

Jester2K II 11:12 23 Oct 03

Switch the alerts off - they are probably nothing of the sort...

pj123 14:52 23 Oct 03

I am using Outpost Firewall (as recommended by the FE) I have never had an alert yet? Is it doing its job?

vinnyo123 15:35 23 Oct 03

you can add a router to your setup .It would act as a gateway to WAN and people scanning around would get nothing back because all ports would be invisible .Router using NAT is a good hardware firewall for always on connection..IT just cost a few bucks to buy...

wizkidwall_03 15:37 23 Oct 03
  roy 16:39 23 Oct 03

I am using Zona Alarm and I see that I have had 16 attacks rated as 'High' since switching on at 15.30 today. I don't know whether or not these would be a real threat but as cycoze says, at least the firewall is doing its job.

Terrahawk 16:49 23 Oct 03

click here for a link to outpost firewall.P.S it is never a good idea to broadcast your email adress forum users can contact each other clicking the envelopes next to the names of the user.

Elyvate 16:50 23 Oct 03

is there an option in zone alarm where I can view a log of where the attacks are coming from??

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:31 23 Oct 03

ZA (especially) and Norton are totally OTT with their amusingly called 'alerts'. Turn off the alerts as they are a waste of time, just let the firewall do its job in the background. You will not get hacked on a home computer. I do not use firewalls as I suspect them to slow down surfing speed...but more of this at a later date.

To repeat some of my earlier info....You will NOT get hacked on a home computer. Hackers are not interested in the utter drivel that is on mine and everyone elses'. Firewalls??.they are useful in stopping Trojans dialing out but to be honest, if someone wanted to put a dialer on a computer it would not be rocket science. There are at least 5 programmes that can by-pass firewalls, 'TooLeaky' having the Gibsonmeisters' grudgingly awarded seal of entry. The Cult of the Dead Cows' Back Orifice, cheekily named after Microsofts' Back Office, could easily be put on a target computer, if one was really trying and the firewall would still be asleep. However. like my computer, most home computers contain utter drivel which is important to the owner but naff all use to the great unwashed. Bank and credit card details can be culled much easier than rooting through turgid files on a home computer. Hacking is not about breaking into home computers, it is about getting onto networks using passwords.

The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected, these queries are called handshakes. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice and all these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and webpages to your IP which is, in effect, your mailbox or receiving station. When on the Net you can pass through more than 20 servers and routers and they could all be handshaking your computer at short intervals. You will notice many of the 'alerts' come from Telecoms, which should come as no suprise as they own most of the routers etc.

If you were being hacked I can assure you that you would not get an alert.

Turn off all the alert buttons/warnings on your firewall safe in the knowledge that you will not be hacked. If it is any consolation I do not use a firewall on both my computers and I am on BB. I use a firewall on my laptop only because I take it to clients...so out of respect for their fears.......

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…