Alternatives to Talk Talk broadband

john bunyan 12:23 24 Oct 15
Answered

I may decide to switch, at last, from Talk Talk in view of latest events. I have been with Pipex for 18 years from when it was a major ISP for Multi nationals. I have a rolling monthly contract, so no penalties are involved. My main issue is with the large number of e mail contacts I have, some of which are quite sensitive in terms of security etc.

I do not want a package with line rental - I will stay with BT for the phone line. All I want is a rolling monthly, broadband only, service. I live down a lane , too far from the main road for fibre, and am happy with my current 8 mbps, although more would be welcome.

The front runner is Zen, that "Which" rates highly. Price is less important than reliability - their £15 per month is a bit high and only a 20 Gig download

Are there any other good broadband only ISP's with rolling monthly contracts? (PlusNet wants a long term contract). What is the best way of keeping my e mail address and address book?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:59 24 Oct 15

have a look at tentel

40 -1 or unlimited

john bunyan 13:09 24 Oct 15

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Thanks - looks promising but not so established as Zen ?

rdave13 13:18 24 Oct 15

I'm with PlusNet and would recommend them. 12 months contract soon goes then you get to the rolling month. As for your emails have a look at this.

bumpkin 14:54 24 Oct 15

Anything has got to be better than Talktalk, I have just taken out a new 18mnth contract upgrading to fibre just before their hopeless lack of security and the inconvenience that alone caused with phoning banks etc. I pay for fibre up to 30Mbps, OK so 2, 4, or 7 are included in "upto" but not what I expect. Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere.

Govan1x 21:29 24 Oct 15

toejams where did you find this one.

Only a mobile phone number as a contact and this from urlvoid .

Have you ever used it.

Click here

Govan1x 21:30 24 Oct 15

Oops sorry toejams it was Fruit Bat /\0/\ that posted it.

LastChip 22:11 24 Oct 15
Answer

When Sky took over Pipex, I changed to Zen. For a start I needed a block of fixed IP addresses and Zen could offer that - just one of the reasons I changed. I've been with them since and so far have not been disappointed. I have had one occasion to use their help line with a rather complex routing problem and it was first class.

Yes, you pay more, but the service in my experience (so far) is excellent.

Part of the deal was they would take over the phone line because if I didn't allow that, it would have resulted in a penalty charge. I guess it's just how their pricing structure is formulated. I was sceptical about that, but in reality, it's made no difference at all.

On the basis of my experience - Zen come highly recommended.

john bunyan 08:55 25 Oct 15

LastChip

Thanks for the comments. I think Zen is top of the list, if I change ISP's.

Pine Man 09:12 25 Oct 15

My son-in-law raves about Zen and he has been with them for about three years. He admits it costs an absolute fortune compared most other ISPs but he says that their customer service is first class and has nothing but praise for the way they have dealt with the many calls he has made to them.

I have been with Sky for the last three years at a fraction of the cost and never called them.

Horses for courses I suppose.

Govan1x 10:35 25 Oct 15

Like any other ISP you get the customers that like it and you get the ones that don't, Anyhow some reviews here.

Click Here

I have been with Virginmedia for about 10 years and the only problem with them is the foreign customer support.

Like any ISP you get the odd fault which is normally sorted fairly quickly if you are lucky but all in all I would give them a 9 out of 10 for their service.

Depending if you are connected by cable if you pay for 50 MB that is what you get. I actually get 54Mb no matter what time of day I use it.

They are rolling out new free broadband upgrades and mine will be going up to 75Mb next month.

Just remember it does not matter what ISP you use there will always be those that do not get the service that they were promised and those that are happy with what they get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac