Alternatives To Outlook Express

gcs_uk 20:31 21 Jan 03
  gcs_uk 20:31 21 Jan 03

I am in the process of streamlining my PC (I only have a 20GB hard drive) and wonder it there is an alternative to OE which will allow me to manage my email accounts but takes up much less space on my hard drive.

Anyone any ideas ?

Magik™ 21:51 21 Jan 03

hi, you could try Pegasus Mail, that works well.

Foolsbane_1 22:19 21 Jan 03

There used to be an email client called Popcorn which was tiny. It does not appear to be available now so maybe you could try Pimmy -

click here

Simsy 01:58 22 Jan 03

for a similar reason.

Pegasus seemed Ok, easy to use. However I have a lot of emails saved in OE that I need access to and I couldn't find a practical wa y of converting these such they could be saved/opened in Pegasus. In the end I stayed with OE.

If that is not of concern to you then Pegasus is certainly worth a try.

The Browser, "Opera", which a number of us regular forum members use, also has an effective email client built in. This WILL import from OE.

good luck,

regards,

Simsy

jazzypop 02:19 22 Jan 03

I'm not sure that you will achieve much of a saving. The entire program takes about 4Mb. It now uses standard .dbx files to store messages, the same as Pegasus I believe.

Sir Radfordin™ 08:22 22 Jan 03

Have been using Pegasus since late 1995 and wouldn't change it for anything. If nothing else, then you don't have the security risks that are involved with OE.

Its also seems a lot simpler, and is very stable. Backing up is just a case of copying the C:\pmail folder to a CDR and then back again should you need to. Its got loads of options and can be set up pretty much as you need it to.

The latest versions also have a very similar look to OE so you shouldn't notice too much difference. Its great if you have more than one email address as it will handles these as seperate accounts rather than OE's less than good way of doing it.

btw Foolsbane_1 was available at the begining of last week! Quick search with google and I found it.

Foolsbane_1 09:35 22 Jan 03

Update.

Links to Popcorn 1.24 download site which were not functioning yesterday appear to be OK now.

click here

gcs_uk 17:54 22 Jan 03

Thanks for all your assistance I think I will give Pegasus a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…