Alternative to Win XP

sneakerman 17:41 27 Nov 05

I have a laptop with Win XP installed and wirelessly connected to my home PC and broadband connection, all I use it for is online banking, viewing digital pictures and general surfing. The online banking requires Java and for some reason the browser has to be IE, can someone advise me on an alternative OS, I have looked at Linux, but not being an expert it doesn't seem to support wireless and is there an IE for it?

Thanks

stalion 18:02 27 Nov 05

an alternative would be vista but it's not out yet

alan227 18:09 27 Nov 05

There is no IE program available for Linux although there is Java.
If you do not know much about Linux OS`s it can be very challenging to set up a wireless network, although there are an abundance of excellent Linux forums which will help you out.
I run windows XP on one computer and SuSe 10 on my other and using Firefox or Mozilla I have no problems with online banking.

GaT7 18:28 27 Nov 05

If you use Firefox, see:

* IE Tab extension - "Open IE only pages in embedded IE" click here
* NoScript extension - "...this extension allows JavaScript and Java execution only for trusted domains of your choice (e.g. your home-banking web site)." click here
* How do I install Java (in Firefox)? click here

HTH, G

Skyver 18:44 27 Nov 05

A LiveCD like Slax is a good way to get a feel for Linux before you install. Features Java too (not the very latest version though).
click here

Stuartli 22:24 27 Nov 05

I have several online banking accounts and use Firefox just as successfully as with IE in the past - Java is/can be Enabled from FF's Web Features.

If necessary Firefox indicates that a update/download is required before being able to use a website and will undertake the download if permission is given.

Chegs ®™ 22:35 27 Nov 05

Linux does support wireless,its just not the easiest thing to setup unless the distro picks up the WiFi adaptor during install.Then basically all thats required is a box ticked.I have used Suse with my Ralink 2500 PCI card,got it working with a heap of fiddling only for the distro to keep disconnecting/switching off the card after a few minutes.As I'm not proficient in linux,I couldn't work out why(presumably a driver prob)

DieSse 23:08 27 Nov 05

A free download of Xandros click here would enable you to test it out. You can install it as dual boot to start (that's what I did, and it's dead easy).

You'll even get access to all your MS documents direct from the MS partition for a trial period.

I'm betting that Firefox would likely talk to your bank as well as IE - despite what they say.

DieSse 23:25 27 Nov 05

Read this in the Xanros testimonials

"I also use a *cheap* pcmcia wireless card. No problem for XandrOS. I only had to set up the card to use the appropriate channel and the lights went to blinking. I was amazed, no other Linux I tried (Fedora, Ark, Gnoppix, Knoppix, MorphOS) would recognize this card, not even LindowsOS. Thanks for loosing me from the cable with XandrOS."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…