Alternative to Web Album Generator

sheila.weston 20:32 22 Sep 08

Can anyone suggest a free photo album for puttting on my Family History Website. I downloaded the excellent Web Album Generator last month, but it is incompatable with my four year old nvidia graphics card.

Many thanks.

sheila.weston 20:35 22 Sep 08

Yes, I know there are several listed on GOOGLE, but there is nothing like a personal recommendation!

robgf 00:58 27 Sep 08

I have found both of these freeware album generators to be pretty good.

click here

click here

Rob. :)

sheila.weston 20:17 29 Sep 08

Many thanks, both. The AAA one looks nice and simple - just what I need! I'll keep the other one in mind for later - they appear to have a display difficulty with the current version.

gerri-atrick 13:25 30 Sep 08

try piclens, it generates the code and thumbnails and with a little plug in the results can be viewed on a 3d wall

sheila.weston 14:07 23 Oct 08

Rob, I have downloaded Porta, but have a few queries. I emailed Mike Stegman, but it didn't get through. My message read:
I have downloaded Porta and put it in the image folder of my website in Expression Web. It deleted all the other images which I had there, which I wasn't expecting, but I have replaced the important ones, I think.

I want to replace the present gallery page - see click here. How do I do this? I have selected images/album/index.html and a black screen opens with a message saying 'enable javascript'. How do I do this? I have zonealarm and AVG anti-virus installed.

Also, can I rename the index.html file to fargusgallery.htm?

Presumably I can then upload it useing the ftp method in EW in the usual way? Your help notes sound as if I can, but confirmation appreciated.

Any help appreciated.

Sheila

robgf 01:10 24 Oct 08

Hi Sheila,

"I have downloaded Porta and put it in the image folder of my website in Expression Web. It deleted all the other images which I had there, which I wasn't expecting, but I have replaced the important ones, I think."

I'm a little confused by this. You should have run Porta and pointed it at the folder containing your images. It should then produce a folder containing your gallery in the same folder as your original images. It shouldn't delete the originals.

I haven't used Expression Web, but to add the gallery to your site, insert the entire folder, you could rename the folder fargusgallery, so your link would look like this:
click here

You dont need to rename the index file, as the browser will automatically find it, if you point it at the folder.

The javascript warning is given because you have javascript turned off in your browser, or a security program on your computer is blocking it.

Yep, just FTP it to upload.

sheila.weston 10:23 24 Oct 08

Many thanks, Rob. I'll have another try.

Actually, I have also tried AAA which looks good. But one question on this - I want to edit some of the 'labels', but it seems to me that if I go back to the last image set and right-click an image, the box show ALL the images with the old labels so I have to go through the whole lot of images again and relabel them. Is this correct, or what have I missed?

robgf 12:11 24 Oct 08

Hi Sheila,
To edit the labels in AAA, you need to create a Gallery Project, before you press the final Generate button. Then edit your album by opening the gallery project, rather than the last image set.
Note that if you move or delete the image source files, the gallery project will no longer work.

You might find this page on my (somewhat neglected at the moment) web site interesting.
click here

Rob. :)

sheila.weston 20:09 24 Oct 08

Thanks for the link and your help - lots of useful information too. I'll play around with the programs and start a new link if I have more problems.

Sheila

anchor 12:26 02 Nov 08

Have look at JAlbum; they even host the album for you; free.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant