Alternative to Sygate firewall

MikeOT 22:01 12 Feb 04

I've been using Sygate personal firewall ever since I had broadband and been really happy with it.

I've just upgraded to XP Professional and discovered it doesn't support fast user switching very well.

What are people using as an alternative? or what would people suggest?

Many thanks

VoG II 22:14 12 Feb 04

ZoneAlarm click here definitely works with XP.

flash_gordon 22:16 12 Feb 04

I use a Netgear DSL modem. It has a router with a built in firewall. Very good.

The Paul 22:30 12 Feb 04

I used Sygate for years and I too was happy with it. That was until I set up a 4 way network at home. I simply couldnt get it to allow ICS let alone file and print sharing.

I switched to ZoneAlarm and was running perfectly within 10 minutes. Brilliant.

Belatucadrus 22:38 12 Feb 04
  MikeOT 12:29 14 Feb 04

I went for the free zonealarm for now as i knew it was well known and trusted - i was in a bit of a hurry that night. I've looked at kerio and that looks good - I might have a play in future. over the next month or so i will probably get a netgear firewall router if i can get a good deal on ebay.

I have to say, i think zone alarm is better than sygate - i really like the comprehensive explainations they give for the different services etc that may be active - advice on what your software is up to.

Thanks for the responses to this thread.

ensonricky 13:04 14 Feb 04

See this weeks MicroMart or visit click here where free firewalls are tested and there is a surprise winner. Personaly I would go for Kerio which is less demanding on system resources.

March Hare 14:44 14 Feb 04

Kerio gets my vote too. Unobtrusive and efficient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…