//some 3rd party need geo

Alternative to Real player?

Pooke100 13:00 21 May 05

Is there any players that'll substitute for playing files that are associated with Real player?

Reason I ask is I installed it a few days ago to view some video .ram was the extension I think....of the beeb website. The system was slow, hung on boot up and really slow to shutdown.

Uninstalled Real player and pc went back to normal!

Joe R 13:20 21 May 05

Pooke100,

I have been using real alternative for years now.

click here

pj123 13:42 21 May 05

Yes, a good one is JetAudio from: click here

Once installed you need to set it up to read Real files.

Go to Preferences, File type association, in the right hand window select Check All, then Update and OK. Next time you start Jetaudio it will recognize almost every audio/video file type.

I took Realplayer off my computer a long time ago because of it's instrusiveness, and now only use JetAudio.

pj123 13:46 21 May 05

Sorry, should have said, from the link scroll down to the bottom and select JetAudio 6 Basic Download (the free version)

Stuartli 14:28 21 May 05

If you configure RealPlayer properly it won't prove intrusive but it can be a real pain otherwise.

I've been using Real Alternative, as Joe R suggests, along with QuickTime Alternative, but still rely mostly on WMP 10.

There's also Nero's ShowTime if you have it installed.

There are many alternatives to the main contestants which are often ignored - for instance both Nero and Windows Office Tools have a Photo Editor...:-)

They might not be the bee's knees, but can perform some duties can can prove useful at times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…