Alternative to Microsoft Works?

cowgirl66 10:10 09 Jul 07

Hi, does anybody know of an alternative to this which is preferably free or at least a lot cheaper? I don't want Word because I never used that before on my old PC. A similar prog to Works would fit the bill.

Regards cowgirl66

VoG II 10:13 09 Jul 07

How about Open Office click here

iscanut2 10:14 09 Jul 07

I can agree with VoG..Open Office is excellent, powerful and FREE !!!

cowgirl66 10:16 09 Jul 07

Thanks Vog but I have looked at that and it has so much that I wouldn't use. It's a huge size but I admit that for others needing Office it's an excelent alternative.

I'm looking for something like Works which offers pre-styled documents which I can choose from.

tenplus1 10:18 09 Jul 07

If you're looking for something smaller, check out AbiWord... It's a full featured word-processor and very very small:

click here

crosstrainer 10:22 09 Jul 07

I have been using Open Office on a Vista system for a while, I agree with all that say it's good...it's also open source and free.

However, if you want something more basic, it's hard to think of anything, all the others that I can think of are modeled on MS Office...things like Ability office (comes with templates but isn't free) are also quite a step from Works.

hi when you intall open office select the custom install and only install the bits you want,i only instored calc and writer.

intored=installed

cowgirl66 18:23 09 Jul 07

Hi all,

Sorry I've not been back to you but the food cupboards were bare and the supermarket was calling...

I'll make a visit to both AibWord (thanks, tenplus1) and now that you have mentioned custom installation, Rave, I'll go and have another look at OpenOffice again. By the way, which part of OpenOffice is the equivalent to Microsoft Works?

Pine Man 18:35 09 Jul 07

Writer is the equivalent of Word and very good it is!

Pine Man 18:37 09 Jul 07

Sorry clicked the wrong button!

Base is a database and Calc is a spreadsheet. There are others but the above should cover most of what you have in Works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…