Alternative to F8

old fogey 19:55 06 Sep 06

Hoping someone out there will be able to help, son in law has a shop built system so he does not know M/B but o/s is xp home sp2 1gb mem, amd processor and Im afraid thats all he knows. The problem is when he boots up (normal post op beep) he gets through the welcome screen and through the log on screen but then all he has is an empty desktop i.e. no icons no task bar or start all programs. Tried to get into safe mode by pressing f8 but just boots up with the above result. tried booting up from xp (oem) disc but the install will not work message says cannot install xp on this partition (hope it is the right partition 150 gig other little partition only has 8 gig havent a clue what that is? total hdd 160 gig)Tried pressing R when booting up from xp disc but don't know what to do at the C promt.
Sorry this is a bit long but hope I have given you enough information. Thank you for any advice you can give.

woodchip 19:57 06 Sep 06

F5 keep tapping as it starts

old fogey 20:02 06 Sep 06

Thanks will disappear for a short while and try that. good job he only lives a few doors away.

old fogey 20:09 06 Sep 06

woodchip
Tried F5 but did not work any other ideas or thoughts on what I can do?

thanks bill

woodchip 20:13 06 Sep 06

You could check the BIOS settings For ASPI I think that's it, that allows key to be used. It may be disabled. Worth a go if he does not have a Full XP CD

woodchip 20:13 06 Sep 06

PS also check APM

old fogey 20:18 06 Sep 06

woodchip

Sorry for my ignorance but what is APM, meanwhile I will try the bios. Thank you for your help I do appreciate it.

Bill

old fogey 20:28 06 Sep 06

woodchip

Could not find ASPI in the bios any ideas on what could have caused the icons and taskbar to disappear or how to repair xp (assuming it is xp at fault.

Thanks Bill

woodchip 20:31 06 Sep 06

I think it's a Power Managment for BIOS but check it will say. Check click here=

woodchip 20:36 06 Sep 06

If you have a XP disc, click here

old fogey 20:44 06 Sep 06

woodchip

Thanks for the link I have already tried that and got the message windows does not recognise this partition. However now the good news despite repeated boot ups using the xp disc or trying to get into safe mode (about 20 in total have just booted up and everything is back to normal (how wierd is that) I will now try sfc /scannow just in case.

Thank you for your patience and help I will now tick this as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…