Alternative to disc defragmenter

FatboySlim71 22:33 23 May 05

I was wondering if anyone knows of a better alternative program for defragmenting my hard drive than the standard windows disc defragmenter.I have XP service pack 2.

VoG II 22:35 23 May 05
  DieSse 00:32 24 May 05

"a better alternative program"

Why - the WinXP one does the job just fine - why do you think it doesn't?

DieSse 00:36 24 May 05

PS - Diskeepers site exaggerates greatly the need for defragmenting, the benefits from defragmenting, the problems if you don't, and the performance of the built-in defragger - IMHO

lester1 23:19 24 May 05

Try this click here

Works for me

bretsky 00:48 25 May 05

I have just purchased Diskeeper9 and I think it's a great alternative and far better than windows own, you get a lot more options and I have noticed the PC's performance is much better since installing the program, I have it set to defrag any time it is needed day or night on both hd's in the "set it and forget it" option, which is just one of many option you are presented with, you can even choose your own timings.

The programs graphics are easy to understand and is very fast in its operation and when the defrag engine is running/active, a little icon appears in the notification tray to let you know.

I would try the free version first Diskeeper lite and when you install it the program becomes the PCs default defragger, if you decide it is not for you, when you uninstall the program XPs own defragger resumes the post.

bretsky ;0)

CurlyWhirly 02:30 25 May 05

I agree with bretsky, Diskkeeper9 is worth the money IMHO.

I used to find that XP's own defragger was too slow for me where as DK9 flies along nicely normally completing a (regular) scan in under 5 minutes on my PC, and I have a 120 Gb hard drive!

FatboySlim71 09:27 25 May 05

Thanks everyone, I have just downloaded Diskkeeper lite, I think that it will be enough for me, as it defrags the hard drive and thats all I really want, im not bothered about the extra features in the full version, I set diskkeeper lite to run every month in my task schedule.I must admit I found it quicker than the windows own defrag program, and my PC seems faster at loading programs and the hard drive seems a bit quieter as well, even though I had defraged with the windows own defrag program 5 days ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…