alternative to asquared free for win 98?

p;3 14:25 22 Dec 07

(on one of my computers running with win 98se ) I am among those who continue to experience problems with the asquared updating despite repeat reboots, uninstalling and reinstalling what WAS a good and reliable program;

I already have avg av on the affected computer and superantispyware plus adaware and spybot amongst other stuff;

what alternative free program to asquared can those who do run on win 98se suggest that will co-operate and update successfully and work as effectively as asquared please?

bluto1 20:46 22 Dec 07

Add cCleaner and I'd say you're well covered. click here

p;3 21:07 22 Dec 07

as I fail to see how, perhaps someone could explain how Ccleaner is considered as an alternative to the asquared program? I presume you do not have a squared on your computer or know how it works?

rdave13 21:52 22 Dec 07

There seems to be a lot of problems with this issue with win 98 accordng to a squared forums. Maybe it will be fixed at a later date. Good luck.

p;3 22:06 22 Dec 07

it is worth remembering that when windows 98 boots up it searches for the last known good configuration ; if a2 is playing up then win 98 will not accept the bad downloads; I have noted the numerous threads on here and elsewhere about the a2 program and it may now have 'lost the plot' on being a reliable program ; it should update easily but it refuses to; so, an alternative trustworthy program is needed ; I have noted threads that discuss shifting items between folders; you really should NOT have to be doing that; so; an alternative is needed; and maybe the win98 has found a flaw IN the a2 program's updateability ; if the updates are not 'safe' then the reboot will not accept them and it will revert to a good configuration

with all these problems I suggest that a2 seems to be losing it' s credibility

rdave13 22:31 22 Dec 07

This problem reminds me of a similar situation concerning Lavasoft's Ad-aware program. The new version had teething problems. Seems to be ok now. A squared's new version 3.1 has to take into account the new Windows OS as well as the now elderly Windows OS'. On XP I think it is still a very valuable scanner and has not lost any credibility for me. There again I don't run Win. 98. Maybe the programmers need a little time to iron things out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…