Alternative to a 404 Error Page

murgle 19:24 25 Jun 04

Hi,

I host my Website with 1&1. Is it possible to have a different 404 error page display instead of the standard 1&1 page.

Many thanks.

woodbexhill 11:46 26 Jun 04

Many webhosts allow you to adjust the HTML for your 404 pages through your cpanel software on your webserver. Check that out first, and see if you can change it there.

woodbexhill 11:47 26 Jun 04

you could do it the 'manual way' and adjust your .htaccess file and add upload your 404 page to your webspace.

This is dependant on whether you can edit your htaccess

Pesala 17:01 28 Jun 04
  murgle 17:23 28 Jun 04

Thanks for your advice. I think I need to contact 1&1 to see if I can edit my htaccess file.

Taran 17:53 28 Jun 04

You create the .htaccess file yourself, or at least I did with my 1&1 account. The .htaccess file overrides default web server settings for the directory it is stored in.

In plain English, if you have an .htaccess file in one folder on your website the contents of that folder will react to the instructions placed in your .htaccess file, even if the web server is set up with different instructions.

I use them for all sorts of things, from controlling error pages to setting specific PHP attributes to parts of a site by overriding the web server default.

If people only knew just how much you could do with a humble .htaccess file they'd be very, very surprised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…