//some 3rd party need geo

Altering filenames

chrismuir 21:28 05 May 04

Hi

I want to alter the filename of my digital camera images to allow me to better index them in my database. I can do this for each file by clicking on the filename and amending it, but don't fancy doing that for a large number of files.

Currently the filename is CRW_1234.CRW. I want to replace the three letters with a different code, but to keep the unique image number. I can't do this in Photoshop, is there a tool within windows where I can modify batches of files.

Ta

Chris

User-312386 21:31 05 May 04

open the folder so you can see all the files

then hit Ctrl and A keys

Now right click on a file and click on rename

The files will now be renamed in number order for you

chrismuir 21:35 05 May 04

Ta

I thought of this, but I want to keep the unique ID no that is part of the filename so that I can find the original unaltered file in my back ups.

I simply want to replace the 'CRW' in the filename with another group of letters, but to keep the rest of the original filename.

Chris

Taran 21:56 05 May 04

I suggest an excellent and free tool called A.F.5 Rename your files 1.1

You can download it from download.com and it gives you the option to rename files with character strings, numbers and combinations thereof, as well as the ability to alter the file extension.

You can choose the number of files to rename in any given sequence and I've used it before to change over 300 image files to relevant names based on when and/or where they were taken and sometimes even the subject matter of the photographs.

It's dead easy to use and works on all versions of Windows. The author deserves a medal for this program.

Taran 08:43 06 May 04

Here's a download link to the A.F.5 program click here

Pesala 09:49 06 May 04

Not only will it batch rename files, but it will do batch conversions too. click here Latest version 3.91 now supports PNG transparency

Eric10 09:57 06 May 04

If all the image files aren't in the same folder then create a new folder and copy them there. Open a command prompt and change into that folder.

To rename all the files in the way that I think you want just type "REN CRW*.CRW XYZ*.CRW" without the quotes and where XYZ is the code you want. The number part of the filename will be retained. No extra software required.

dotterel 23:01 06 May 04

Added to my postings. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…