altering drive letters in win xp..

holly polly 19:30 27 Dec 03

hi my brother has just done a low level format on his comp the hdd was the master on ide chn1,there is also a slave drive on this channel ,unfortunately xp has moved the drive letters around his master hdd is now f can he reconfigure the drive letters how they should be -regards-hol pol...

VoG II 19:34 27 Dec 03

Hi hol pol

click here

holly polly 19:44 27 Dec 03

mni thanks for link but is there a way to change the boot drive letter?-hol pol....

holly polly 20:14 27 Dec 03

if i disconnect the slave drive from the ide channel will this put the master drive back as c-hol pol.....

QQAA 20:33 27 Dec 03

The article posted by Microsoft is 'supposed' to explain how to add, CHANGE, and remove a drive letter under Windows XP.

Under the 'Classic View' of Control Panel :

1. Click "Administrative Tools"

2. Double-click "Computer Management"

3. Click "Disk Management" section in the left pane

4. Right-click the drive for which you want to assign a particular drive letter, on the lower right pane

5. Click "Change Drive Letter and Paths" in the adjacent part of the Disk 0 (which supposingly mean the Boot Drive)

5. Click "Change"

6. Oops.... The message box "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume" is immediately displayed

7. I think unable to proceed further, and has to seek an alternative solution, if any

alcudia 21:43 28 Dec 03

Read knowledge base article Q223188. By editing the registry you can change the system volume back to C. Be careful though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…