Almost completely dead Asus netbook

Ian in Northampton 14:16 PM 17 Sep 12

All that happens when you hit the power button is that the blue power light comes on. Nothing on the screen, no indication of the disk trying to spin up. Anyone have any thoughts where to start?

difarn 14:32 PM 17 Sep 12

It maybe that it is stuck in "sleep mode". Try removing the battery, pressing the "on" button for a few seconds and then putting the battery back in. Before you remove the battery make sure that you have disconnected it from the mains.

Ian in Northampton 17:44 PM 17 Sep 12

Thanks difarn. Unfortunately, that didn't work... :-(

woodchip 18:53 PM 17 Sep 12

Try running it just on mains without battery

Procrastinus 22:06 PM 17 Sep 12

Lid switch stuck?

Ian in Northampton 17:48 PM 18 Sep 12

Woodchip: when I do that, even the blue power light doesn't come on.

608: good thought - but I can't see anything that looks like a lid switch.

Anyone got any recommendations for a company that could repair it in the MK/Bedford/Northampton area?

woodchip 18:18 PM 18 Sep 12

If its as you say and will not start on Mains, the Adapter needs replacing and the battery is Flat

Ian in Northampton 19:14 PM 18 Sep 12

Woodchip: that's an interesting observation. The adapter (this is my daughter's netbook) is a generic one, and those always worry me. But when I plug the adapter in and power on, the blue power light comes on, and an orange light flashes - which I take to mean it thinks it's charging the battery - and there's also a green light that comes on on the front of the case, although I have no idea what that means.

Ian in Northampton 17:15 PM 28 Sep 12

I ended up taking this to my local friendly PC repair guy, for whom I have a lot of respect. He pronounced it as terminal and inoperable. I'll take the hard drive out of it and put it in eBay for spares/repairs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off