Allowing program access to different users

about:blank 17:17 07 Mar 05

Hi, is it possible to set different user accounts different access rites to different programs.
For instance, can i stop msn messenger and skpe from oppening on other user accounts?

Win XP pro, no sp2 or 1
thnks in advanced

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 07 Mar 05

Yes running XP pro, have removed MSN from my startup but starts straight awy on kids account.

mattyc_92 17:59 07 Mar 05

You could just change the "permissions" for the folder that contains the program e.g. MSN folder located at c:\program files.... Just create another permission for the folder and deny access to it.... e.g. say if a user was called 123 and another 456, and you only want 456 to access messenger, add a permission (the user's name) and apply as deny all and 123 wont be able to access the folder, thus access the program...

You can also do this by created "Groups" like MSN Group and set that to ALLOW and just remove ALL permissions for the MSN folder accept for "Administrators" and "System" and add "MSN Group" and just set it to be able to access the files and launch....

mattyc_92 18:01 07 Mar 05

...and add the group to each user you want to allow access to the program...

I have done this for many programs, printers and drives on my system and it isn't very hard (may sound it but it isn't)

mattyc_92 18:06 07 Mar 05

soz the folder is MSN Messenger, not MSN.... lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…