Allow prog's thru firewall

Kooji 14:46 24 May 06

Help!! I am a complete novice. My pc has Norton Internet Security installed. My grandaughter wants to log on to MSN Messenger to 'talk to her friends'. The only way I can do this is by turning off my firewall whereby the MSN page opens and runs. How do I configure the firewall to allow MSN through? please bear in mind I have absolutely no idea how computers work could you make any replies 'idiot proof'? Thanks..

ghm101 15:10 24 May 06

Norton Internet Security 2003 or later and Norton Personal Firewall 2003 or later:

1. Start the Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall program.
2. Click Personal Firewall, and then click Configure.
3. Click the Programs tab.
4. Remove all the instances of Msnmsgr.exe from the Manual Program Control List.
5. To add MSN Messenger to the list, click Add.
6. Double-click the Msnmsgr file.
7. Make sure that the Msnmsgr file is added to the Programs and Services list and that MSN Messenger is selected.
8. Make sure that the file is added to the Manual Program Control List
9. In the Internet Access column, make sure that MSN Messenger is set to Permit All
10. For more information, refer to the Norton knowledge base , select the version of the product that you are using, and then search for “Changing Internet Access Control settings” or “Changing firewall rule settings“ in the product manuals.

All other versions of Norton:

1. Visit the Norton knowledge base , and then look for “Changing Internet Access Control settings” or “Changing firewall rule settings “ in the product manuals.

Kooji 16:53 24 May 06

ghm101 many many thanks!! I followed your 'idiot proof' guide and it all works perfectly.

ghm101 16:56 24 May 06

Alas i cannot claim credit for the guide, but you should thank google and the fact I have to search for stuff like this just about every day.

Kooji 17:04 24 May 06

If it's any consolation ghm101 I woudn't even know where to start looking on google, so I really appreciate your patience.......

ade.h 17:39 24 May 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now